compound turbos

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a compound turbo setup. I'd prefer to utilize my modified stock turbo(91mm exducer and 360 degree bearings) in the setup. First is my stock turbo suitable for a compound setup and second what would compound with it well? Thanks!

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Stock turbo I dont think will live long. Even gated.

Get a drop in, and what injectors are you putting in ? No point in twins on a bone a stock truck. This will determind your low pressure charger.

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
my current mods are a Dptuner, custom built Ponci's Diesel Center Transmission with Suncoast torque converter, Gillette Diesel Compressor upgrade, HPX, riff-raff FPRX, AFE stage 2, 4" exhaust, Zex nitrous kit, AEM Water Meth. I plan on running 238cc/100 injectors with Walbro lift pump. I also plan on doing ported/polish the heads, comp cam 910 springs and shims, and pushrods. What do you think would be a good streetable compound setup? If not a stock turbo maybe a 62mm turbo with a 71mm turbo arrangement? I want a turbo setup that will spool up incredibley fast, decent top end, with really low egts. As much as I enjoy the black smoke I'm thinking I want to get rid of the smoke and have huge power all through the rpm band while being smokeless.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
just see you have an early 99..you do know the turbo's are a little smaller then the 99.5 and up right?? it is the same as the OBS truck though...maybe someone down there is running compounds that could help you out as well...

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
Yes i know the early 99 turbo is smaller. I have a gillette diesel compressor upgrade(exducer upgraded to 91mm from 82mm,and 360 degrees thrust washer upgrade from 270 degrees) to try to make up for some of the difference.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
just see you have an early 99..you do know the turbo's are a little smaller then the 99.5 and up right?? it is the same as the OBS truck though...maybe someone down there is running compounds that could help you out as well...
Similar but not the same. OBS turbos aren't gated and have a larger exhaust housing, and a T3 flange instead of a v-band.

Short Bus

Reaction score
The early 99 turbo is what should have been on all 7.3's from the factory! No surge, good spool up and still waste gated. it flows less than the late 99+ turbos because it has the wicked wheel right from the start. Compounds with the stock charger = fail, dont care if its all modded out or not it just wont survive.

dietoremain

Reaction score
I'd let someone else tune my truck as well for that kinda stuff IMO, not bashing anyone just stating my opinion..

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Id do a s362 with the largest turbine wheel possible (74mm??) but with a s478/96 1.10 Honestly though unless you plan on larger injectors Id just run a single, a lot simpler and much easier to work on.

Latest posts

Members online