Compound turbos

Cota

Reaction score
I would like to see some examples of how the atmosphere turbo is mounted.

Short Bus

Reaction score
search for me on either facebook or photobucket, i think there's pictures on one of the two or both. Mine was mounted above passenger side tire, no windshield washer fluid, vac resevour and no inner fender. I will never run twins on a street driven 7.3 again, what a pita. Any routine maintenance was just that much more difficult and time consuming. Yes it was more fun to drive than the big single, but the extra work just wasnt worth it.

Cota

Reaction score
I know where most of them are mounted. I was hopeing for pictures of the mounting points and brackets for the big turbo.

Addicted4

Reaction score
I would use the bolts off the a/c pump and mount a plate under the pump and the just weld onto it to hold the atmosphere charger.

What turbos are you guys considering running for both stages?

907DAVE

Reaction score
I'll try and grab some pic's of mine in the next week or so, going to move some things around and will need to make a new atmo mount.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It'd be.sweet to.stuff it somewhere else...or.have em both hanging off that side.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Not sure if there is enough room on a sd but this is what I did on my obs. 3" body lift and cut/fabricated a tunnel in the fire wall for a full 5" downpipe. The last picture is how I mounted the atmosphere on the first twin setup. Basically just used the accesory bracket, with 2 holes that tied in with the alternator and 2 holes that were not being used on the front side of the bracket.

Attachments

• 000_0027.jpg
    000_0027.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 131
  • 100_0030.jpg
    100_0030.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • 100_0066.jpg
    100_0066.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    440.4 KB · Views: 123

Cota

Reaction score
Dave, would be interested to see what you come up with, it'll be bitchen I'm sure, since you've been running compounds for a while now.

I still dream of cleaning out the valley and figureing a way to drop a set of street compounds in there but that would be like trying to figure a way to use your cruise control buttons to manually shift a 4r100.

Oh wait, what?LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
Dave, would be interested to see what you come up with, it'll be bitchen I'm sure, since you've been running compounds for a while now.

I still dream of cleaning out the valley and figureing a way to drop a set of street compounds in there but that would be like trying to figure a way to use your cruise control buttons to manually shift a 4r100.

Oh wait, what?LOL

I hear ya there. Body lift would be the only way, imo. Id love to.do a set.but.they'd have to be either both in the valley or both hanging off the pass side.manifold.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I would love to have both turbo's out of the valley, but that not going to happen this time around. Things are going to get re-worked to make the setup a bit easier to disassemble.....plus a little upgrade.

Teaser..

20130207_075225_zps811ff78a.jpg

Charles

Reaction score
search for me on either facebook or photobucket, i think there's pictures on one of the two or both. Mine was mounted above passenger side tire, no windshield washer fluid, vac resevour and no inner fender. I will never run twins on a street driven 7.3 again, what a pita. Any routine maintenance was just that much more difficult and time consuming. Yes it was more fun to drive than the big single, but the extra work just wasnt worth it.

You usually voice this sentiment in this type of thread, but I have to alert you to the fact that you don't have to mount the first stage where it totally ***s all that up, lol.

You didn't have to lose the windshild washer tank, vac reservoir or inner fender, point blank. Nothing about compounds says you do. You could mount a single turbo like a total retard and have to remove all that stuff if you wanted to be dense and place it there, lol.

I know you didn't choose the location or anything, I'm just saying, your points only apply to that ***ed up setup. Not to "compounds" in general terms. I would qualify your statements with something along the lines of.... "on my sh*t ass set of compounds", lol.

Something to think about...

My original setup takes the place of the AC and vaccum reservoir because those things were long gone years before I fabbed the charger setup. I didn't remove them to gain room. If I had wanted them I would have positioned the charger slightly differently, as many have since...

Only point of this post is to clarify that the negatives listed above are not inherent. You have to purposefully place the charger in the way of all that. Compounding in itself does not mean you have to lose those things.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
You usually voice this sentiment in this type of thread, but I have to alert you to the fact that you don't have to mount the first stage where it totally ***s all that up, lol.

You didn't have to lose the windshild washer tank, vac reservoir or inner fender, point blank. Nothing about compounds says you do. You could mount a single turbo like a total retard and have to remove all that stuff if you wanted to be dense and place it there, lol.

I know you didn't choose the location or anything, I'm just saying, your points only apply to that ***ed up setup. Not to "compounds" in general terms. I would qualify your statements with something along the lines of.... "on my sh*t ass set of compounds", lol.

Something to think about...

My original setup takes the place of the AC and vaccum reservoir because those things were long gone years before I fabbed the charger setup. I didn't remove them to gain room. If I had wanted them I would have positioned the charger slightly differently, as many have since...

Only point of this post is to clarify that the negatives listed above are not inherent. You have to purposefully place the charger in the way of all that. Compounding in itself does not mean you have to lose those things.

Just as there are other angles than parallel to the crankshaft.to.mount the first stage. Why do compounds thrash stock FR bottom ends? If you tuned a set of compounds on 450hp worth of fuel.would it decimate the bottom end like we usually see?

Cota

Reaction score
Thanks dave, that looks nice and simple.Any support from underneath?

Addicted4

Reaction score
Just as there are other angles than parallel to the crankshaft.to.mount the first stage. Why do compounds thrash stock FR bottom ends? If you tuned a set of compounds on 450hp worth of fuel.would it decimate the bottom end like we usually see?

My guess would be that the torque comes in so quick in the rpm range, also i dont think that a set of studs would hold the heads on even if held to 50-55psi of boost it would be the amount of air be forced into the combustion camber.

40psi at 900cfm say 38r
40 psi at 1250cfm KASB
40 psi at 1700+cfm compounds

TyCorr

Reaction score
My guess would be that the torque comes in so quick in the rpm range, also i dont think that a set of studs would hold the heads on even if held to 50-55psi of boost it would be the amount of air be forced into the combustion camber.

40psi at 900cfm say 38r
40 psi at 1250cfm KASB
40 psi at 1700+cfm compounds

Yea, that makes sense.

Latest posts

Members online