Container to reuse oil

pungohboy

Reaction score
I just did an oil change with t6 about 500 miles ago and now I need to replace my oil cooler orings I have read I need to drain all the oil. I really dont want to waste $100 of oil so I was planning on dumping it back in but I dont know what kind of container would work I have some gallon jugs if I washed and dried them good (waste oil inside currently) would they be ok to reuse? Or should I buy some new containers? Any suggestions would be great and if I read wrong about having to drain the oil let me know. Also would you replace the filter or just try to reuse that as well?

sent from the app I paid for now its free and they have dumbed it down to a free version and want me to buy another paid version even though I have paid for it. Stupid Tapatalk!

ToMang07

Reaction score
If there is coolant and oil mixing, you will need new fluids regardless.

If you are REALLY keen on reusing fluids...If you don't have clean buckets I'd buy them new. (3-5 gallon buckets, for example.)

Personally, I wouldn't trust anything out of my oil drain pan, it's had all sorts of crap in it and is lined with crud.

pungohboy

Reaction score
I dont think any coolant is getting into the oil I was going to drain the oil before pulling the filter mount off the motor. I think the risk of coolant entering is during that part. I was thinking about just grabbing a new bucket I have a fumoto valve so I can stop the drain process as needed

sent from the app I paid for now its free and they have dumbed it down to a free version and want me to buy another paid version even though I have paid for it. Stupid Tapatalk!

ToMang07

Reaction score
You will need to drain the coolant as well, because it will come out when you remove the oil cooler.

Why are you replacing the oil cooler?

pungohboy

Reaction score
Just replacing the orings and gaskets it started leaking a couple days ago. I plan on doing a coolant flush at the same time I also bought a new coolant tank since i found a small crack the same day the oil cooler started leaking. All my parts should be here today so hopefully I can get it done before Monday.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Go get a cheap small tote from Walmart. Get one new jug of oil and put in then funnel the reuse back into the jug. Takes a few minutes but saves a good bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

pungohboy

Reaction score
I put about 8k miles a year on it so that could be a while I'd rather just get it over with and not leave more spots than normal under it.

pungohboy

Reaction score
You are correct, it was a rather dumb question I was either over thinking it or not thinking while typing. I have a nice clean bucket and plan on filtering it before putting it back in just in case.

Latest posts

Members online