Coolant Additive

RyanD

Reaction score
Guys,

Would appreciate your expertise regarding my '13. I've had the coolant additive light on for a couple hundred miles, and Friday afternoon I stopped by the Ford dealer to pick up oil filter/fuel filter. While I was there, I stopped by and asked a Service tech about the warning. He told me because of the climate I live in (South Texas) that it isn't a big deal and I was OK to just reset the light. But, my mistrust has me wondering otherwise. Do you guys have any thoughts?

As an aside, I have a slow leaky radiator, so over the last year I've added probably a half a bottle of new Ford coolant. Will the coolant itself have the additive?

CurtisF

Reaction score
It's never a good idea to skip coolant maintenance on these motors.

The main thing to watch for is nitrites in each system. That will kill the coolant system and cause major problems faster than anything else. The coolant test kits will check for all of that and more.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
They sell test strips, you can just use those. They are expensive and have terrible reviews on Amazon. Not sure what the dealer uses though

wildkarrd

Reaction score
The service Dept of the dealerships around me have either tested it for me or handed me the strip to do it myself. Haven't been charged for it yet. They should keep a bunch on hand, just ask them to test it real quick. Takes longer to smoke a cigarette

Sent from a Well Head

Latest posts

Members online