coolant filter/pressure question?

ccarrier

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im getting ready to install my coolant filter system, but i have a dilemma...

i DONT want the filter/filter base in my engine bay (unless i HAVE to do it.)

so my question is... does the coolant system (water pump) have enough pressure to be able to mount the filter on the frame, lets say mid door and be able to return to coolant to the degass bottle?

i will be running the feed line to the filter from the 3/8 port on the water pump

Tom S

Reaction score
I would say yes but I think that way forms a bypass to your thermostat. I am not certain though.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
i just tapped into my heater core lines and heres what i cought in the filter in less then 6k miles

100_0722.jpg

casting sand. and i installed the filter same time as i flushed the system.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
thanks tom. as for location i chose the engine bay just ran some hose. but im sure it will work if there isint too much distance from the filter down on the frame. i wanted my filter at the highest point in the system for changing purposes. i dont want to have to get all wet changing the filter when it dumps out.

IMG_0678.jpg

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
It's not over any electronics.
The cooling mist pump is near the idm but also not over it.
The coolant filter is on the left side of the brake booster.

kip4234

Reaction score
I mounted mine on the frame on passenger side, right below the front of the front door. I have ran it for 5 years this way and it works perfect.

Tom S

Reaction score
It is not that hard to use a hose pinch tool to make the filter change not messy either.

chromehound

Reaction score
Or spend the $17ish dollars on the shutoff valves, they look good and work great. What's the reason for not wanting the system in the engine bay?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Good spot. Got valves to turn off supply and return when changing filter. Is that the NAPA filter kit? That's what I got.

Latest posts

Members online