Coolant Filter Question

Donnie1

Reaction score
Last weekend I did the EGR delete, oil cooler replacement, HPOP screen, 6.4 Banjo Bolts and the blue spring mod.

Yesterday I put in the Sinister Coolant filter setup.

This morning I was headed out the road running about 70 mph when I looked in the rearview and it looked like I had just blown motor coming out of turn 4 at Talledega. My temps were good (180's). I pulled over and it looked like coolant was coming out of the top of the bottle.

I shut off the valves (valve handles up) to the coolant filter and drove on a few miles. All was well the rest of the day. I'm pretty sure we had the coolant bottle overserviced because it was just below the top of the bottle.

My question is, would the bottle being overserviced cause it to do that?

Also, the ball valves on the sinister kit are open if the valve is inline with the hose correct?

I did not have instructions with the coolant filter as I bought it used but new.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zmann

Reaction score
thats how all valves are in line is open

if you overfill where is the fluid supposed to go when everything heats up??

you should be at the MIN mark when cold
they have updated the fill level and have a sticker to retrofit on the bottle
or even an updated bottle with the correct level

Donnie1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas. I was thinking the same thing but just wanted to make sure. After it did it I drove it for another few hours at highway speed with no problems so I'm thinking it was just a coincidence that it happened just after getting the filter on it.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
my truck has to be like a quarter inch below the min. mark when cold or else it will blow out the cap

My truck would blow out a bit if I kept it at the min mark. After I did the studs and new gaskets it hasn't puked any, but I keep it about 1/8" to 1/4" below the min mark anyways. When we pulled the heads there was no outright evidence that the gaskets were blown, but at the time I had the opportunity to have Ford pay for all the labor so I bought a set of ARP's and dropped em' off. Haven't seen a bit of puking since. I do know from a friends experience that if over filled, even a stock truck with ARP's that has never been tuned will puke.

01PSD

Reaction score
Just did the Sinister kit on my brother's yesterday, great kit. When we first popped the hood we noticed white residue all around the top of the bottle. I started to flip $hit. Truck had HG's and studs done about 30-40k ago. We're hoping it was just a little overfilled and that was the reason it was puking, I guess time will tell. Lost a good amount while doing the kit installation LOL didn't drain the coolant beforehand

Donnie1

Reaction score
Just did the Sinister kit on my brother's yesterday, great kit. When we first popped the hood we noticed white residue all around the top of the bottle. I started to flip $hit. Truck had HG's and studs done about 30-40k ago. We're hoping it was just a little overfilled and that was the reason it was puking, I guess time will tell. Lost a good amount while doing the kit installation LOL didn't drain the coolant beforehand

I lost a bit of coolant as well when I did mine. I'll be changing the filter for the first time tomorrow. Will cut it open and take pics.

chappy

Reaction score
I thought I would add that after installing my sinister coolant filter setup my truck will puke occassionally. Since its just a bypass I don't seehow it would affect it but it seems kinda coincidental.

Donnie1

Reaction score
Finally changed the filter today. Around 500 miles since doing the flush, EGR delete and oil cooler replacement. Looks pretty nasty to me.

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

This is what was in the bottom of the filter
photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

Agjake11

Reaction score
Dayum. I changed mine after about 3k since flush oil cooler and delete. Went back to gold and my filter had just a little in it. No where near that bad.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
What coolant are you using? Either that filter was SCA charged with the tablets or you've switched coolant and didn't get the system flushed properly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.