Could it be my HPFP?

JrStroker

Reaction score
Okay, so here goes. I have a 08 job 3 F250, spartan tuned 210LL with a 4 inch straight pipe. My truck has been acting up here lately, Throwing a P0088 code Fuel rail/system pressure-to high. It seems like this is a Pretty common code here in the 6.4 forums, well before I go and drop that fat stack of cash that I dont have on a new HPFP, I'd like a little closure first. Maybe, it isnt it.

So my truck has the normal symptoms of bucking and jumping after you hit the throttle hard. My Mustang before did the exact same thing, and it was the fuel pump. The truck acts fine while its still sorta cold, even after it hits operating temp its fine for about 15-20 minutes, then it starts acting up. It seems to only do it on warmer days too, around 50+ degrees. There seems to be a whine/groan coming from the back of the motor in-between the firewall.Sounds like its coming directly behind the 4x4 knob and about 12-18 inches above the floor board. in that general area. It only starts when I'm in the throttle and fuel rail pressure is around 11000+/- 1000 and will continue to 18000+.
So my fuel rail pressure is said to be "high" but here are the general pressures
Idle- 5050-5100
1/4 throttle - 8000-9000
1/2 throttle - 13000-15000
3/4 throttle 22000-23000+

I havent had time to replace to sensor yet.
I replaced my fuel filters around 300-400 miles ago.
I just drained my water separator, seemed to hesitate and gargleing sounds came before a drip of water and a steady stream of fuel.

One of my main questions is, if it is the pump going bad, can and will it grenade itself and ruin the fuel system/injectors? How long could this thing last with the symptoms? I'm assuming it will get worse but in what amount of time? I'm doing some cab off things here in about 2 months, can it wait till then?

I feel like I put a decent amount of information. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and gals!

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
There is an updated ford calibration that widens the failure parameter for this code.

I am not sure if any of the aftermarket programming has incorporated this change.

Hope this helps.

Fwiw the original ford fix was replace pump. Later repairs only get a reflash

JUGERNAUT

Reaction score
Yes there is a update for this code but I've only seen it work as a patch for a few weeks or so then the trucks come back. The trucks that came back ended up needing high pressure pumps and if you get metal dust from 1 and 2 on the both rails with coffee filters you will need all the injectors. If you look in the upper filter housing for rust in the bottom that means water has gottin in your fuel system and is sure death to everything!

JrStroker

Reaction score
So basically getting the reflash is worthless if I'm just gonna retune it?
When I changed my fuel filters a couple weeks ago didn't see any rust in the bottom of the housing.

Okay, so the big question. Is it okay to drive my truck for a while? I have a pretty big commute 5 days a week , 70 miles round trip. If I have to shut it down for a while before I get my pump put in I wouldn't care. Better be safe than ruining a good truck.

JUGERNAUT

Reaction score
So basically getting the reflash is worthless if I'm just gonna retune it?
When I changed my fuel filters a couple weeks ago didn't see any rust in the bottom of the housing.

Okay, so the big question. Is it okay to drive my truck for a while? I have a pretty big commute 5 days a week , 70 miles round trip. If I have to shut it down for a while before I get my pump put in I wouldn't care. Better be safe than ruining a good truck.

Sure you can drive it but if it starts to miss don't drive it!! I'm doing 2 engines right now cause they drove them and melted pistons and cylinder walls!!

JrStroker

Reaction score
Holy Crap! As long as I baby it it is fine. And it doesn't throw codes! I'm just gonna stay out of the throttle for now. Glad to know its safe to drive...for now..

Latest posts

Members online