Couple Intercooler questions.

2002FordPwr

Reaction score
Good evening,

Im going to be installing a 6.0 intercooler when I do my trans cooler.

Couple questions if someone can give me a hand please.

-The intercooler came off a fleet truck. It had a few miles on it, and is dirty. Whats the best way to clean an intercooler? I have read using acetone and pouring it into the intercooler itself and flushing it around. Can I rinse the inside with water? I just want to get it nice and clean. I can take a hose to the outside.

-Does anyone have a nice write-up on how to install it they can post? I believe it's pretty straight forward, but to have something to follow.

Any other advice?

Guys thanks in advance. Appreciate it.
Anthony

2002FordPwr

Reaction score
Lol, wow guys. Didn't realize it was not a good addition to my truck. I got the intercooler for free. Also, since I will be changing my trans cooler, whats a few more bolts?

I have read 50 to 100 drop in EGT's. If I do not mind spending an hour or so more changing it, then whats the big deal?

Do you guys not recommend it?

Just trying to learn here.

Anthony

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Lol, wow guys. Didn't realize it was not a good addition to my truck. I got the intercooler for free. Also, since I will be changing my trans cooler, whats a few more bolts?

I have read 50 to 100 drop in EGT's. If I do not mind spending an hour or so more changing it, then whats the big deal?

Do you guys not recommend it?

Just trying to learn here.

Anthony

You will see little if any drop in EGT. Its one of those mods that everyone thought did something, but after a few years most realised there was 0 improvement.

2002FordPwr

Reaction score
Ahh, got yea. I appreciate the clarification.

Do you happen to know the proper way to clean an intercooler? I have been reading, filling the intercooler with Simple Green and water then letting it soak?

Any other advice?

Thanks
Anthony

bruce

Reaction score
Why? Most people generally know its not a substantial upgrade, just like tryin to sell like some edge stuff on here, most people know better.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Not sure why dudes can't give OP a straight answer. If you want to swap em do it. Who cares, when you are talking to the ladies it will make your list of mods longer and make them more googly eyed. I have no clue how to clean one. It would make sense to me to just use soap and water. I would be worried about getting all the crap out and water out as well. If it were me I would get a big shop vac and rig it so it sucks air out of one side and blows in from the other.
Maybe leave it like that for twenty minutes . Heck idk if it would help but would make me feel better
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Devil Car

Reaction score
I cleaned my intercooler and tubes with Simple Green and water. I just filled it full with a water and Simple Green solution and sloshed it around and let it sit for a while. Rinse and repeat as required. Then, make sure you flush it out really well to remove any Simple Green residue and let it dry before reinstalling.

On turbo Buicks, we always used to clean them out with carb cleaner or brake cleaner by filling them with a significant amount of the solvent and sloshing it all around, but I don't think this is a good idea with the intercoolers that have plastic end tanks. Besides, simple green is cheaper.

TARM

Reaction score
Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum and was also shown to be a strong catalyst of Hydrogen Embrittlement which effects aluminum strength. If you do use it you should make a good effort to get every bit of it flushed out. I see no reason to use it as there are many other options known to be aluminum safe and there are just so many little nooks and crevices a IC that needs to keep a seal and hold pressure. Not that just one good cleaning with a through wash would likely cause a real issue but better safe than sorry. On not critical parts it likely would do nothing but ruin the surface over time if not thoroughly removed. I used it for years to clean my engine and bays but I always rinsed very well. I stopped using it after the info below was reported and that it was for sure harmful to alum.

Just an FYI on the subject: Simple Green came out with a product specifically for aircraft and aluminum products called Extreme Simple Green to use on aircraft because of the above issues which led to the crash of a Army Chinhook in '92 Alaska. Army maintenance crews were using the basic Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner to clean aircraft which caused aluminum fasteners to fail from hydrogen embrittlement that was found to be directly responsible for the crash. The Extreme version is now approved for use on aircraft and aluminum parts. But I bet it also cost a good deal most as is the case with anything aircraft approved LOL

Last edited:

indyF-350psd

Reaction score
damn TARM i mean i know you know alot of sh!t but it appears that you will have probably forgotten more than i learn.....

TARM

Reaction score
I know just enough about alot of sh!t to get me into a lot of sh!t LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.