Cracked Cackstars

Triple H

Reaction score
A few days ago I discovered a slow leak in my lF. Damn, figured I would need a patch. Les Schwab gets the wheel off and discovers a crack. 3 of 4 down. The cracks are borderline repairable (bandaid) by a local alloy wheel repair and machine shop. The shop owner claimed not even forged wheels are safe from these kind of defects when I threw out the comment of it's time to pony up the extra cash for forged wheels. :pointlaugh:

IMAG2155.jpg

Triple H

Reaction score
Oh hell no!!! Scared the chit out of me when they called me out to the shop to look at what they discovered. Just 2 days ago (Disclaimer: on a closed course lol) I pushed it to 103mph. I seriously about puked when they shined the flashlight on these!

Luckily I have the old aluminum wheels and tires from when I bought the truck, they're also 38" Toyo MTs. So basically I have a set of junk Rockstars because I can't repair and sell them. Just not a dick like that. Thought about adapters and run them on my '75 F-250 rock crawler for laughs but they probably wouldn't last 30 mins on the slick rock down south. lol

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
Did you buy these new? If so you can go to the dealer that sold you the rims and turn them in under warranty. I am doing that with mine right now. 10 inch crack down the center.

Triple H

Reaction score
I bought them and the tires new from Les Schwab. They're a big western retailer. I purchased them in decemeber of 2010 off the top of my head. They have actually only been on the truck for about 18 months and I don't abuse them other than what daily life throws at them from F'd up highways.

The guy didn't give a rats azz about taking care of this and making it right. Just passed me off to the shop who could weld them and said that's what he does with every case. Yesterday wasn't the time or place to raise a stink but once I get them off the truck tonight I'll pursue this defect until they make this right.

Layson

Reaction score
You gotta bitch a little bit with Les Schwabs. Usually they will take care of issues like this. You may get screwed because I think warranty is usually a year on wheels with them.

Mdub707

Reaction score
KMC at one point did a recall on the monsters for this reason, not sure why they never did with rockstars... seems they crack more often than the others (probably also more popular as well).

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
Just call the manufacturer. They have a lifetime warranty. I have had twoof them crack, and they sent new ones both times. I'm not even original buyer either.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I wouldn't even want replacements at that point... yeah you get a new free wheel that you can sell now I suppose, but I wouldn't put those things back on my truck.

raptor

Reaction score
les swab problem

Had same problem with a different brand of rims an the shop did same thing to me so I got on the phone called the home office told them my problem and that i was really upset with the way they handled it and that i would not ever buy anouther product from them and i was going to spread the word around to some buddies that have fleet accounts with them suddenly they change there tune told me to go back and order a new set of rims from any manufacture and they cover it to the same cost i paid for the set

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
The rockstars have a lifetime warranty. If Les Schwab won't do anything about it then contact kmc. I had to contact them about mine and find a dealer around my area to swap out with. The only problem with these wheels now is they are on national back order.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Doesn't anyone see an issue with the fact that so many of you experienced rim failures?

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
Oh I know. From what I understand it was only the chrome rims that cracked. Not the black powder coated. I am looking for a set of stock 20inch rims off a 2008 right now to replace mine.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Such BS on these aftermarket rims.

Yup.

My cousin almost died in a rollover due to a KMC big hoss or whatever they are, snapping and actually shearing off from the center section. Truck was found laying on its roof, with the center section still lug nutted on, rim sheared right off.

I'm more than all set with aftermarket.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Great thread Tom. I can get the details and photos of the failure my cousin experienced to document it in that thread too.

Tom S

Reaction score
Great thread Tom. I can get the details and photos of the failure my cousin experienced to document it in that thread too.

I think that would be great info to get out there. Someday someone will pay some coin on a product liabilty suit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.