cracked piston (carnage pics)

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
'00 Excursion, 272k miles all original except water pump and turbo. I did run a van turbo for about 10k miles. Its been chipped for over 100k, the last 30k with BTS tunes (324hp). Also been burning WVO for over 100k miles.

#2 cylinder
IMAG2536.jpg

IMAG2535.jpg

IMAG2530.jpg

IMAG2544.jpg

IMAG2543.jpg

IMAG2542.jpg

IMAG2541.jpg

We wiped the loose soot off #1
IMAG2538.jpg

CGMKCM

Reaction score
Jason, were you at RR East? There was a white Ex at the drags that about 2/3 down the track would drop water. Just curious.

Last edited:

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I was, (pics in Diesel World) but don't think I was leaking anything. This truck did not leak a drop of oil, coolant or anything else! In fact, I was planning to throw studs, springs, etc along with a GTX 4294 and 250/200's on it - because it ran so damn good!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Same thing I posted elsewhere...

I am sorry you have learned this way. My experance killed the diesel hobby for me. I just dont care anymore.

FYI, junk yard motor, larger injectors, bigger turbo and 20k more miles then the last motor so far...

Oh and one other change... tuners.

just a reminder from my green motor...

2210724670100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

CGMKCM

Reaction score
I was, (pics in Diesel World) but don't think I was leaking anything. This truck did not leak a drop of oil, coolant or anything else! In fact, I was planning to throw studs, springs, etc along with a GTX 4294 and 250/200's on it - because it ran so damn good!

I think there was 3 mostly white Exs running. 5 Ex total. I had seen Clay's and I know it wasn't him. It may have been a 6.0 that I saw puking a little. Sorry for the confusion, It was friggin hot, my brain was a little fried.

Last edited:

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Just think Jason, a couple more months and you'll be toying with 700hp on a fresh motor and trans...with good tuning this time around....I can't wait to ride in it!:rockon:

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Just think Jason, a couple more months and you'll be toying with 700hp on a fresh motor and trans...with good tuning this time around....I can't wait to ride in it!:rockon:

Yep, thanks again for your help!!!!! :rockon: I still think you guys are a bad influence. But, a full rebuild does present the opportunity to do a few more things that make way for more power! :D

Currently looking at heat treated forged rods, Stage II cam, port and polished heads, 300/200's and a GTX 4294 on Jake's SS up-pipes. :D It should be a fun ride! I also plan to leave it on V&B code springs and run 33" tires - it has to fit under my 7ft garage door. Meanwhile, I'll be eating Top Ramen and PB&J for the foreseeable future... :eek: Actually, after burning nearly-free fuel for 250,000 miles I've saved plenty enough to pay for this build!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
PM me who did the tuning?

Also, did it happen under load or what?

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Yep, thanks again for your help!!!!! :rockon: I still think you guys are a bad influence. But, a full rebuild does present the opportunity to do a few more things that make way for more power! :D

Currently looking at heat treated forged rods, Stage II cam, port and polished heads, 300/200's and a GTX 4294 on Jake's SS up-pipes. :D It should be a fun ride! I also plan to leave it on V&B code springs and run 33" tires - it has to fit under my 7ft garage door. Meanwhile, I'll be eating Top Ramen and PB&J for the foreseeable future... :eek: Actually, after burning nearly-free fuel for 250,000 miles I've saved plenty enough to pay for this build!

Change your sig for the new sticks LOL

I'm still thinking you've got enough room by the spare time for a little blue bottle filled with giggle gas...I mean you've already got the trans so why not :shrug:

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Change your sig for the new sticks LOL

I'm still thinking you've got enough room by the spare time for a little blue bottle filled with giggle gas...I mean you've already got the trans so why not :shrug:

See what I mean - bad influence!!! As far as the gas goes, drugs are bad mmmmkay. Really though, I'm not after a dyno-killer or dragstrip hero - it is legitimately a 9000+ lb SUV and its main job is to pull my 10k+ lb Toy Hauler around the country while I work out of town. I'd like to see this thing run better than stock and last a couple 100k miles. Since I've seen blocks fail and other carnage at lower HP than I'm planning to be at, I just have a lot of faith we have tuning dialed in a little better these days. Besides, it would take quite awhile to get bored with Chris's truck in 'stock' tune!!! That thing is amazing. :rockon:

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
This was #3 in my dually at 308k miles:
0112000042.jpg

0118001535.jpg

and one of the other slugs cleaned off:
0112000042a.jpg

All (8) of these pistons had small cracks on the lip of the bowl - the X did not have that, but it towed very, very little compared to the dually and my ex-wife put most of the miles on it (she drives like an old lady - 20+ mpg is a clue!)

These guys helped with the last rebuild. They were fine with AC codes and a 38R!! None of this 300cc, ported heads and NOS talk from them... :shrug: Of course, it is their inheritance I'm spending! Lol.

0118001231.jpg

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
This was #3 in my dually at 308k miles:
0112000042.jpg

0118001535.jpg

and one of the other slugs cleaned off:
0112000042a.jpg

All (8) of these pistons had small cracks on the lip of the bowl - the X did not have that, but it towed very, very little compared to the dually and my ex-wife put most of the miles on it (she drives like an old lady - 20+ mpg is a clue!)

These guys helped with the last rebuild. They were fine with AC codes and a 38R!! None of this 300cc, ported heads and NOS talk from them... :shrug: Of course, it is their inheritance I'm spending! Lol.

0118001231.jpg

Don't worry, after they ride in the ex, they will want you to have the same power in the dually LOL Hey it's only money right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.