Cruise Control Issues

713Diesel

Reaction score
Did a search on this but didn't come up with much. Yesterday while driving around I noticed that when I turned the volume down on my steering wheel controls the volume actually went up. Next time I got in the truck it worked right. Today the cruise control didn't work. I was hoping that I would turn the truck off and back on and it would work itself out like the volume controls did. Not so lucky. Now the air bag symbol goes on and off every minute. Any idea's? I drive a lot of highway so cruise is a must for me.

713Diesel

Reaction score
I don't know where I should even start to try and fix this deal. I am quite pissed at this but I guess this is literally the only thing that has given out on me on this truck so I can't complain too much.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. From what I understand it is a semi common problem. Strange thing is the day before mine went out a co worker of mine that has pretty much the same truck that I have was telling me that his cruise went out on his truck also. I thought to myself "it would really suck to not have cruise". The next day mine was out........

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
if its just going out intermittently check the brake switches. The way you described it you are having a lot of electrical issues.

greasltn

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the clockspring has a bad spot in it. If it were me I'd take the steering wheel off and try to clean the clockspring and go from there.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Sounds just like a clockspring. Does your horn work? You can unplug the wires at the base of the steering wheel and ohm check but Im not sure witch ones to check without looking at a diagram.

713Diesel

Reaction score
Horn works and I have not had any issues with the radio controls except that one time.

I will check the wires at the base of the column.

Hanging_Heels

Reaction score
i cant tell you how long my cruise control has worked "intermittently" sometimes it works but most of the time it doesnt... its been like this for years. Its so aggravating, not really sure what to do??

B585Ford

Reaction score
Its been a long time since I looked at them, but I thought there was a TSB related to your cruise issue. You may want to check. If memory serves me right, you can Google "6.4 TSB".

713Diesel

Reaction score
All of my steering wheel controls have now since gone out on me so I am hoping I will be able to get away with the clock spring swap. Thanks for all the help.......... BTW not having cruise sucks.

Latest posts

Members online