Cruise transplant from 2000 XLT to E99 XL

salem747

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I did find enough info to do this, it took a little digging so I thought I would do a quick writeup.

Parts Needed:
-Cruise Control steering wheel
-Cruise control clockspring
-I thought I needed the brake position sensor from the brake pedal but the E99 already had one
-Butt Connector

Process:
1. Disconnect batt ground for 10 minutes unless you want your face broken by an airbag discharge
2. Remove plastic plugs from behind the wheel to access one bolt each side of wheel (8mm I think)
3. Remove and disconnect horn button/airbag assy
4. Remove Torx bolt in centre of wheel (45 or 50 Torx)
5. Remove wheel with a sufficient puller
6. Remove the plastic shroud from the column, there are 3 phillips screws from the bottom that hold the two halves together. They are also slightly clipped together so you will need to pull them apart.
7. Remove lock tumbler, there is a small hole on the underside of the reciever for it. Push in there with a small screwdriver or something then turn the key and it will slide out (On position, I think)
8. Disconnect clockspring wiring from harness under dash, you will also need to unclip it from the guides under the column. There is one clip on the receiver for your lock tumbler too.
9. Unclip and remove the clockpring from the column. There are two clips behind it on the perimeter. The whole assembly with wires comes out.
10. Clip in the cruise clockspring, plug in wires, attach guides. Be sure you are in the middle of its travel so it has enough slack to go lock to lock.
11. While you are down there confirm that your brake pedal has a black switch on the pivot. It has an elecrical connector on it. If you don't have one you will need to get one from your donor.
12. Install the cruise wheel, reinstall the ASB/Horn button
13. Under the hood, check your master cylinder, do you have a connector out at the end of the metal part? If not you should have the connector clipped back onto a dummy clip on the harness. This will be right on top of the inner fender.
14. This connector is a redundant way to shut off the Cruise. If there is pressure in the brake system this circuit opens and shuts off your cruise. The Brake position switch and your brake lights lighting up also do this job, the "OFF" button does it aswell. You need to cut the head off this connector and short it out with a good quality butt connector.
15. Tidy up, put away the empty beer cans, wait till you are sober and you should have cruise above 40km/hr.

I didn't take pictures, sorry.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.