Custom Center Console: The Build

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Will the sub be firing down or back?

It will be be firing back... Simply because it will be easier to install.

Just out of curiosity.... Why didn't you make the box a little bigger front to back and then it wouldn't have had to been so tall so you could maximize storage space.

To be honest the height it just about perfect. It looks a bit tall but and is quite a bit taller than the stock consoles but, I sit up tall in my seat. If anything it could be about an inch shorter but I am pleased with it.

It looks great and if your upholster hooks you up and does a good job you will be really pleased with it. I have seen an upholster take a great console and make it look like crap due to inexperience. Good luck and great work.

I'm hoping I got the right guy. LOL I talked with him and is wife about what I wanted and I am pretty confident in what they have planned out for it. It's going to be black on top and back with grey on the sides with a bit of embroidery. I think they embroidery Ideas they gave me will look sweet but I'm not going to spill the beans just yet. I think it will be really cool though.

MPTonyT

Reaction score
IF it were me i would try to fire the sub down but its a little late if you didn't plan for that.

I didn't mean the whole console height.... just the height of the physical enclosure. If it wasn't as tall and went under the cup holders you would be able to add more storage space under the lid.

Either way it looks great round everything over and sand the **** out of it and it should be killer.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I like it. Wouldnt mind throwing 4 buckets in to mine and putting a full console from front to be.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Well,... I have a minor update. Sorry for being so slow with this.

I went and picked these up today. :D The JX 500/1 is temporary. When I do the doors and hushmat I'll invest my money into the HD900/5.

2012-08-10140811.jpg

I also picked up these Tsunami battery terminals. They come with 2 in a pack and I think i'm going to get another set for the other battery. They are pretty cool.

2012-08-10180056.jpg

2012-08-10180123.jpg

Here you can see the sub installed and the fiberglass I did on the lid.

2012-08-10201523.jpg

dirtboy25

Reaction score
To be honest im not all that impressed with it so far. Im sure some fine tuning will enhance the sound but for now it sounds a little rough. I still have a ways to go, tonight was just installing and testing it out.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Is it too late to fire that sub down? It really makes a difference, might just rotate the box 90* to get an idea what difference it would make before making any changes.

I'm digging this so far!

2000wa250

Reaction score
I agree with the firing it down.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Is it too late to fire that sub down? It really makes a difference, might just rotate the box 90* to get an idea what difference it would make before making any changes.

I'm digging this so far!

Oh yeah... LOL I originally wanted to fire it downwards but then wanted the accessibility if I ever needed it. Yesterday I said I wasn't all that impressed but, after setting up my HU and amp I am completely satisfied. It's got a nice and tight bass that is clear and smooth. I'm 100% satisfied. I'm thinking I'll keep the JX500/1 and run a separate amp for the door speakers.

As far as firing down, what kind of difference would it make? This is my first time doing a system. On a side note I'll be putting plenty of hushmat in the doors and floor to help out.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
I talked to my audio shop about the install going in my 6.4. I'm doing a shallow JL 13 and was thinking of doing the 900/5. They told me I could buy the amp but they're not putting it in, they have had huge problems with them burning up. So I'll stick to what I had in the 450 and run a 500/1 and a 300/4 for the highs and mids

sent from somewhere in the country

dirtboy25

Reaction score
That's funny, when I picked up the sub and amp yesterday they had 2 900/5's waiting to be sent off. They didn't say much about how often it happens though. As small as the JX500 is I could fit another amp in the front of the console with ease. If I hear any more about that problem then I won't waste $1,000 on a single amp.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Not sure how I missed this awesome and cool center console build. Keep up the good work - I plan on stealing a few ideas from this for my rig when I get to the interior.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Looks like this is coming out really well. Good thought on making a storage compartment. I had a box like this built in my old f150, but we all forgot about the storage issue. That was a big pain in the ass. Here's a couple of photos I found in case you wanted to see an option to cover yours.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

dirtboy25

Reaction score
I have put the console on hold for a while now. After numerous attempted calls I gave up on the upholster and have decided to do it myself. It sucks but so far it's turning out OK.

20121204_091813.jpg

20121204_111456.jpg

20121204_114419.jpg

20121204_114648.jpg