custom fuel system questions

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
No I haven't done extensive research on this, but I have done some searching. I have hears repeatedly of airdog and Fass pumps wearing out and it seems to be when used alone. From what I've found online people have had better luck running a low pressure lift to the high pressure feed pump. Again that's just what I've seen and I know that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
If I believed everything I read without question I would never have bought a 6.0!

Currently I'm pushing ~420 hp 800 tq and I can't see needing much more than 500 hp 900-1000 tq.
I am not personally looking for anything huge just something that can safely sustain fuel pressure and if needed have room for improvement later on. Who knows I've been addicted this far I may continue my addiction once I reach my goals. I'm sure many know how that feels!

As far as off-roading is concerned yes my excursion is very well plated underneath I've been rather impressed with the stock plates and how the cover everything. My plates are thick solid pieces. I also don't plan on extreme off roading but there's always that rock you mis judge and I just prefer to avoid that possibility by keeping all filters at or above the frame rails if possible.

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
And as for deleting the stock system/bowl that's just a personal goal to clear up some engine compartment room and allow me to clean things up with nice looking fittings and all.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
And as for deleting the stock system/bowl that's just a personal goal to clear up some engine compartment room and allow me to clean things up with nice looking fittings and all.

u cut my fuel bowl off and tig welded a flat plate on there and mounted my regulator to it

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
No I haven't done extensive research on this, but I have done some searching. I have hears repeatedly of airdog and Fass pumps wearing out and it seems to be when used alone. From what I've found online people have had better luck running a low pressure lift to the high pressure feed pump. Again that's just what I've seen and I know that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
If I believed everything I read without question I would never have bought a 6.0!

Currently I'm pushing ~420 hp 800 tq and I can't see needing much more than 500 hp 900-1000 tq.
I am not personally looking for anything huge just something that can safely sustain fuel pressure and if needed have room for improvement later on. Who knows I've been addicted this far I may continue my addiction once I reach my goals. I'm sure many know how that feels!

As far as off-roading is concerned yes my excursion is very well plated underneath I've been rather impressed with the stock plates and how the cover everything. My plates are thick solid pieces. I also don't plan on extreme off roading but there's always that rock you mis judge and I just prefer to avoid that possibility by keeping all filters at or above the frame rails if possible.

thats because those pumps are to small to be used on heui engines.

the pumps are being operated at almost 100 percent duty cycle at idle.

common rail engine are fine. they need gpm at low pressure.

heui's need bolth. thats where the problem comes in, of the pump physically being to small.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I can't even maintain proper pressure with stock injectors and a tune. I'm using a brand new stock pump, the blue spring (which doesn't solve volume issues) and the old style fuel filters from Ford. I am of course, reading fuel pressure behind the heads, but it drops like a rock on the skinny pedal. I don't see how a RR would help that at all, that's a volume issue, not a pressure issue. Of course, every truck is different, but I am always curious to see what guys would read for fuel pressure if they measured behind the heads, instead of at the fuel bowl.
The problem is simple, you are still using the STUPID factory fuel pressure management design. The blue spring is a bandaid AT BEST, and as you've found, it sometimes isn't any better than stock because the system it works in sucks. An RR will ABSOLUTELY do better.

Before I designed our RR kit, my 2004 truck had an EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE (pre SCT days). With the J/A on the hot tune, intake and exhaust (and no other mods), I could stand on it and watch the fuel pressure drop from 52psi to 35psi. That was with unimpressive programming and stock injectors...NOTHING like todays custom programming. I installed the prototype RR kit in the truck, with my stock fuel pump, pressure was adjusted to 65psi and held rock steady from then on. Eventually put 170cc injectors and SCT tuning...still rock steady.

Readers Digest Point: The stock setup is absolute garbage, with the stock or blue spring.

Dennis: are there benefits to a sump supplying the factory pump, getting away from the straws?
In my opinion, absolutely not. Spending money for no gain. Draw straws work just fine in properly installed. The only advantage to a sump is having a lower point to help ensure you don't run out of fuel from uncovering the pickup (which happens because the drawstraw was cut too short and is too far from the bottom of the tank).

From what I've found online people have had better luck running a low pressure lift to the high pressure feed pump. Again that's just what I've seen and I know that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
Sounds like you've been reading over at FTE, where everyone seems to think that running extra pumps is necessary. There are times and places to consider this. My race truck has an AirDog 150gph feeding a Fuelab pump. It's not because the Fuelab needs it though, it's because I wanted the air removal and pre-pump filtration.

Still doesn't tell me mods.

I NEVER recommend moving away from the stock fuel pump without good reason. It's the ONLY fuel pump on the market that was originally designed for that truck, designed for very good reliability and durability (because it had an OE warranty to live up to), and they have proven themselves to be good pumps when not starved for fuel or otherwise damaged by outside acts. This goes for the 7.3L and the 6.0L. If RELIABILITY is a concern...stay with the stock pump as long as you can...PERIOD!!!

That said, I would do a regulated return with rest of the system stock and leave it alone until your power production exceeds the capability of the stock parts. Maybe when that happens, you will have another vehicle for your 1200km trips and this one can be a toy and you will be less worried about reliability. I will tell you this, if you have ANY AFTERMARKET FUEL PUMP fail on the side of the road, away from town, it will likely take longer to get the truck fixed and running than if you have a stock pump fail (which you can get a replacement for from any dealership and/or many parts stores...even if it's just a POS chinese copy).

Our system keeps bowl and uses very nice looking hoses and fittings. There's no gain for the extra work at your level.

thats because those pumps are to small to be used on heui engines.

the pumps are being operated at almost 100 percent duty cycle at idle.

common rail engine are fine. they need gpm at low pressure.

heui's need bolth. thats where the problem comes in, of the pump physically being to small.
That may be the case for the ADII, as I believe that the electric motors are too small and run too hard in high pressure applications. I've been testing a high pressure titanium series FASS pump for a long time now, and with our custom pressure spring, it has been flawless. It holds pressure, is quiet and works great. The big difference, the FASS still used the good old ball and seat regulator, the same design it always had and the same design as the original AirDogs (ADII has that goofy internal regulator, which I personally believe is part of their problem). The FASS also has a larger motor and larger pump than the ADII. I would have no problem putting someone in a Titanium Series FASS right now, and I would bet it would give great reliability and a long life, but I still contend that the OE pump is more likely to go longer in a well maintained truck.

I'm in the middle of writing my "How to pick a fuel pump" FAQ for the website because I have this same discussion day in and day out. I've probably talked more people OUT OF BUYING aftermarket fuel pumps than I've actually sold aftermarket fuel pumps. There are very good reasons for keeping the OE parts, and BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. If you can't tell from the tone of this post, I'm pretty adamant about this topic...it's because I've taken the calls from customers stranded on the side of the road, with numerous brands of aftermarket fuel pump. Even when we didn't sell them the pump, it pisses me off when it's a case of someone using a pump they didn't need in the first place...someone that should still be running a stock pump and that probably wouldn't be stuck somewhere if they were. I get even madder when I'm talking to someone that listened to another vendor, one that only wanted to sell a pump and make a buck but didn't take the time to figure out what was actually appropriate for that particular customer. "Oh, you have a Ford, put a blahblah pump in it. That's what all the ford guys run, they are the cats ass". Great for the vendors bottom line, not so much for a customer with a set of stock injectors and a tuner...sell them a pump for hundreds of dollars with no fuel system knowledge to back it up or support it and then throw up your hands and send them to google (where they find us and call for help) when they have a problem...welcome to my world!

Mdub707

Reaction score
The problem is simple, you are still using the STUPID factory fuel pressure management design. The blue spring is a bandaid AT BEST, and as you've found, it sometimes isn't any better than stock because the system it works in sucks. An RR will ABSOLUTELY do better.

Before I designed our RR kit, my 2004 truck had an EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE (pre SCT days). With the J/A on the hot tune, intake and exhaust (and no other mods), I could stand on it and watch the fuel pressure drop from 52psi to 35psi. That was with unimpressive programming and stock injectors...NOTHING like todays custom programming. I installed the prototype RR kit in the truck, with my stock fuel pump, pressure was adjusted to 65psi and held rock steady from then on. Eventually put 170cc injectors and SCT tuning...still rock steady.

Readers Digest Point: The stock setup is absolute garbage, with the stock or blue spring.

I'm certainly not disagreeing that the stock setup is crap, but I don't understand how the spring has anything to do with it, it's simply a bypass for when pressure builds too high is it not? It just pops off at a "given pressure." Obviously not the best or most accurate method, but how would a RR help sustain pressure when I jump on the skinny pedal? At that point, the blue spring does nothing anyways, does it not? Please don't take this as me suggesting you're wrong, I'm just trying to understand, and I thought I had a decent understanding of this system.

My thoughts are that if I simply move my fuel pressure sensor to the fuel bowl, my pressure will magically be "ok," but I need to order a new sender to do that.

I don't have the option of running the RR, my rear fuel ports are being used up already.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
The problem isn't the spring (although I find that stock spring humorously small and inadequate), it's the design and placement of the fuel pressure regulator. Use a quality regulator that is located AFTER ALL of the demand and pressure drop, and do NOT allow any fuel to be bled back to the tank before the fuel rails, and suddenly the stock fuel system will support more demand. It's not the pump...

If the stock regulator is still in place, what's going into the rear ports?

TooMuch03

Reaction score
FWIW, My stock pump is still on my truck. Since 2008, it has been feeding a regulated return and supplied my 185/70s just fine, all by itself. I have since added a FASS to remove air and get better filtration, but I continue to use the stock pump without issue. I wonder how big of an injector it can handle.

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
Wow almost all the reading I did was "wrong" or inaccurate. From what I gathered it was almost necessary to run a pump to adequately keep up to hot tunes. I've been using google so the info I've found has been from all major forums at some point.
Right now I'm stock. Egr delete 4" turbo back bye bye kitty blue spring coolant filter studs and srl+ runs awesome so far and I want to keep it as reliable as possible while feeding my power addiction. That said it is highly unlikely I will even own another vehicle for a long time let alone drive anything else even if I did.
Well I wish I would have known an r.r. would be a good starting point I just ordered a few things from strictly and shipping to Canada (customs damn you america!) Really hurts the wallet even on small purchases :doh:
If a regulated return controls the relief pressure behind the heads couldn't a guy somehow mechanically block the crap relief regulator and keep better control of the fuel pressures?

About bot getting any real gains from deleting the bowl, I had assumed under false pretenses that running a different setup would be better for the injectors and could delete things freeing up space under the hood in exchange for the ample frame space. Honestly I've got an addiction to customizing my truck and like the thought of a few things moved under the hood.

BlueOvalDiesel

Reaction score
Good thread. One question i have is i read a thread that said that lowering feul pressure to 50-55 psi when using a RR actually makes the truck run better. Now when running a completely stock setup plus a RR would that still be true or do you need the aftermarket pumps to get that advantage?

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Wow almost all the reading I did was "wrong" or inaccurate.
The internetz is great for that!

Right now I'm stock. Egr delete 4" turbo back bye bye kitty blue spring coolant filter studs and srl+ runs awesome so far and I want to keep it as reliable as possible while feeding my power addiction. That said it is highly unlikely I will even own another vehicle for a long time let alone drive anything else even if I did.
Blue Spring Kit is cheap and raises base fuel pressure, but does NOTHING to address flow to the injectors...so it gets an F in my gradebook. It's better than nothing, but not by much.

Well I wish I would have known an r.r. would be a good starting point I just ordered a few things from strictly and shipping to Canada (customs damn you america!) Really hurts the wallet even on small purchases :doh:
Hindsight sucks!

If a regulated return controls the relief pressure behind the heads couldn't a guy somehow mechanically block the crap relief regulator and keep better control of the fuel pressures?
That's what our kit does, we cap the stock regulator entirely, and regulate pressure AFTER the fuel rails. You can't just cap the stock regulator though, you have to have a regulator in the system.

About bot getting any real gains from deleting the bowl, I had assumed under false pretenses that running a different setup would be better for the injectors and could delete things freeing up space under the hood in exchange for the ample frame space. Honestly I've got an addiction to customizing my truck and like the thought of a few things moved under the hood.
Deleting just the fuel filter bowl doesn't really gain you much, particular for all the work and involved.

Good thread. One question i have is i read a thread that said that lowering feul pressure to 50-55 psi when using a RR actually makes the truck run better. Now when running a completely stock setup plus a RR would that still be true or do you need the aftermarket pumps to get that advantage?
Safe to assume that what I highlighted above is referring to a completely stock FUEL PUMP? If so, the stock pump with an RRK would easily be able to dial the pressure down to 50-55 if that's where you find your truck runs best. Don't need an aftermarket pump for that.

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
So your saying that your kit "deletes" the stock regulator from functioning and only regulates the pressure after the heads allowing a more accurate control if the pressure truly getting to the injectors correct?
Thank you for your advice and I greatly respect you for not just shoving a more expensive product down my throat like so many company's can and will at any chance.
Since the internet came into play customer service has suffered horribly especially since there is rarely any real interpersonal relationships anymore.
I know it's best to gauge how far you can push your fuel system by monitoring psi and every truck will be different but what's the common tipping point before the stock system with an r.r. can go before losing too much fuel pressure? I know its a trick question cause one guy with larger sticks can be tuned to hold psi better and a guy with smaller sticks might drain them easy but make less power etc...

Snoop

Reaction score
Does deleting the fuel bowl provide any performance benefits other than physically freeing up some real estate? Obviously you'll save some money on a fuel filter.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
So your saying that your kit "deletes" the stock regulator from functioning and only regulates the pressure after the heads allowing a more accurate control if the pressure truly getting to the injectors correct?
Exactly.

Thank you for your advice and I greatly respect you for not just shoving a more expensive product down my throat like so many company's can and will at any chance.
Thank You!

Since the internet came into play customer service has suffered horribly especially since there is rarely any real interpersonal relationships anymore.
Lots of ways to run a business and live a life. My conscience would not let me sleep at night if I was selling whatever product people "think" they need just to make a buck, without first trying to figure out if it's the right product for them. I would probably sell a lot more if I just said "yes sir, that will be $xxx...visa, mastercard or discover?"...but that's just not my style.

I know it's best to gauge how far you can push your fuel system by monitoring psi and every truck will be different but what's the common tipping point before the stock system with an r.r. can go before losing too much fuel pressure? I know its a trick question cause one guy with larger sticks can be tuned to hold psi better and a guy with smaller sticks might drain them easy but make less power etc...
For the most part, we consider 190s to be the tipping point. That's assuming a proper functioning stock fuel pump.

Does deleting the fuel bowl provide any performance benefits other than physically freeing up some real estate? Obviously you'll save some money on a fuel filter.
Not at most street power levels. There may be some benefit at real "race" levels.

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
just to throw this out there we have the strickly kit on our 6.0 and love it to death! perfect instructions, best stuff on the market, well thought out, and cool lookin! even though dennis prob doesnt remember me ive talked to him before and this guy has some knowledge on fuel systems! and speakin of which i need to get ahold of him to be a dealer for him haha!

04 stroker

Reaction score
How do the rear injectors get more fuel by having the fuel flow all the way through as opposed to dead heading in the rail?

04 stroker

Reaction score
The glass gets full? I don't see how it will fill any faster by having the plumbing make a loop before the sink and dumping back into the well. I'm sure it's a lot easier to bleed the air out of the heads with an rr. I just don't see how it gets more fuel to the injectors.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
The glass gets full? I don't see how it will fill any faster by having the plumbing make a loop before the sink and dumping back into the well. I'm sure it's a lot easier to bleed the air out of the heads with an rr. I just don't see how it gets more fuel to the injectors.

When u fill the glass the circulation in the bottom of the cup decreases and increases the chance of stagnant water... so with the rr u rid urself of air sitting and by crossflowing the fuel past all the injectors evenly and keeping fresh cool fuel there you prolong the life of the injector and gain hp

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

Latest posts

Members online