custom fuel system questions

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
As the glass fills more pressure is used at the very top where it hits the resistance and less pressure is transferred to the very bottom.
Now my question, I'm a 1st year heavy apprentice and what I was taught is that hydraulic pressure on any fluid is equal and uniform on ALL surfaces when static. In a dynamic system ie the fluid is flowing there will always be a pressure drop after any restriction and a pressure increase before any restriction. That much can be guaranteed.

How does dead head vs r.r. change the characteristics of the system. I would assume that with a dead head system that fuel pressure would never have a long enough time to become static because of how often the injectors fire so fuel pressure would theoretically have to be measured at the heads for an accurate measurement. With the gauge from the fuel bowl you are measuring it before a restriction seeing the higher pressure where after the restriction ie inside the head closest to injectors will have a pressure drop.
I would assume the pressure regulation after the head will see a very accurate reading of what the lowest injector pressure will be but does the r.r. cause any restriction after the head that may interfere with pressure readings?
Once I get home from camp I'm gonna read my texts on dynamic fluid pressure and see what I can come up with.
Again this is all my assumptions

Last edited:

04 stroker

Reaction score
Seems to me that the more times that fuel is moved it gets more air in it. Is anyone running fuel coolers? With the dead head it's always adding fresh cool fuel into the head, yes the fuel in the head is hot but not the fuel coming in. With an rr, all the fuel in the tank will be hot eventually. After that point there is no benefit.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
I think Dennis just sold me on his RR. I just sold my AD2 and have plans for 190s in the future. May add a AD 150 later down the line for the air removal.

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
I run a RR...so i just ended up cutting the factory fuel bowl/pressure regulator right off the oil filter housing. No need for it.

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 63

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Seems to me that the more times that fuel is moved it gets more air in it. Is anyone running fuel coolers? With the dead head it's always adding fresh cool fuel into the head, yes the fuel in the head is hot but not the fuel coming in. With an rr, all the fuel in the tank will be hot eventually. After that point there is no benefit.

Hard to discuss with a guy that wont listen, do it ur way idc

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

Snoop

Reaction score
I run a RR...so i just ended up cutting the factory fuel bowl/pressure regulator right off the oil filter housing. No need for it.

I have dennis's rr Kit with AD2 currently. Would really like to delete my fuel bowl to have less parts... What do you suggest I need to make this happen?

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
With the amount of fuel actually being returned to tank, and the fact that idling is when most return happens as well as being the coolest in temperature, heating up the ENTIRE tank any measurable amount seems highly improbable. Also the fuel cools while traveling back to the tank. I can't see this being even a remote possibility.

Snoop

Reaction score
With the amount of fuel actually being returned to tank, and the fact that idling is when most return happens as well as being the coolest in temperature, heating up the ENTIRE tank any measurable amount seems highly improbable. Also the fuel cools while traveling back to the tank. I can't see this being even a remote possibility.

I agree.

And I just looked at my fuel bowl to delete it, too much work right now. If(When) I take everything apart again, I'll probably hack it off. Looks real simple.

04 stroker

Reaction score
Yes I was talking in extreme cases. Just depends on a few variables (fuel level, run time and how hard the truck is worked). I know on heavy trucks with Detroits will heat up the entire fuel tank in a few hours. Like I said, thats much more extreme than most people on here do.

BlueOvalDiesel

Reaction score
Im pretty sure having better flow in and out of the heads with better regulation outways heating the feul up a little more. Obviously since they said with a good stock pump and RR it will support 190's it works. Try that with the stock system. If your really concerned about the feul heating up run a cooler.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I did a ton of fuel cooler testing, and after hundreds of miles with digital gauges and 6 temperature sensors in different parts of the system...still don't sell a fuel cooler. Not worth it based on my testing.

We even tested a really long drive, intentionally to run the tank down low...wanted to see how hot it got...it didn't!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.