Custom intercooler

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Brainstorm on lunch break. So we all see upgraded intercoolers. Water to air. Air to air. People using NOS chill kits etc Etc. Why can't some custom Fab an intercooler linked the A/C system to cool the intake charge. Idk if it's even possible. But I don't see why it couldn't be done. Anyone smarter then I care to put their input in on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXlineman83

Reaction score
The power an A/C compressor robs from a truck is minimum.

The killer chiller sounds interesting. I'll have to check that out.

capt dong

Reaction score
So does a second fuel pump but that doesn't stop guys from running dual fuelers.

I don't know enough about it but I'm gonna guess that a second pump can add a substantial amount of power over a belt driven intercooler. I guess it's gonna come down to a calculation of how much power you stand to lose and gain all at the same time per modification. The idea sounds interesting. That Killer Chiller seem pretty cool.

alradco

Reaction score
Most vehicles running something like a chiller of that type are using a roots style blower and can't run a front mount intercooler. Also these guys are fighting detenonation where we really don't have that problem. The boost levels we see for extended periods of time aren't something gas cars really see either. This is all just off the top of my head so I could be way off. I think it comes down to that we just don't need to as long as we're using the correct intercooler.

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
Why doesn't someone just get a thicker intercooler built? That seemed to remedy the issues I was having with my last street car. Air to water is a PITA for something street driven IMO.

White_monster

Reaction score
Thicker core for the intercooler is great except there's one thing it can cause, overheating or increased temps of other coolers and fluids due to reduced airflow to them.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I don't have any heat problems with my AFE intercooler.. are the guys over my 700 HP range having big issues?

Isnt the new 6.7 a smaller, Water/Air intercooler set up? From what I hear it cools well and is a lot smaller so the truck spools faster since there isn't as much volume in the charge system to compress in to boost.. Could we borrow a system like that and adapt it?

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I like having things that others do not. I would not mind fab'ing a custom set up and it working. Stray from the norm and innovate

earico

Reaction score
Killer chiller, inline water to air intercooler, 5 gallon remote reservoir and GT500 intercooler pump (or Jabsco boat pump) would work great. AC compressor will kick off at WOT. 5 Gallon capacity would give more time before fluid was heated. System could be turned on and off as needed/wanted.

Basically it would be ice water pumped thru something like this http://r.ebay.com/CMYBmF which would be mounted post OEM intercooler.
!CBRtG-g!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!lwEz+wB8jg9BNG8QdQHJ!~~_12.jpg

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...R-CHILLER-USERS-H-E-bypass-how-to(switchable)

http://www.killerchiller.com/

The Killer Chiller is a very proven product in the Terminator and Lightning world.

Last edited:

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
Thicker core for the intercooler is great except there's one thing it can cause, overheating or increased temps of other coolers and fluids due to reduced airflow to them.

That's also true because of how tall the stock intercooler dimensions are. I'm just tossing ideas around for you guys lol. I will probably never have reason to explore bigger/more efficient intercooler options since my truck is a daily.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I don't have any heat problems with my AFE intercooler.. are the guys over my 700 HP range having big issues?
Mine runs warmer when towing heavy than with the stock one. Not a lot but some. Bar and Plate coolers just remove so much more heat than a tube and fin. I have one from No Limit.

alradco

Reaction score
I should specify that in my experience it has been. But I have more experience with gas powered turbo cars than turbo diesels.

Sorry clicked your quote by mistake, was trying to quote

Mine runs warmer when towing heavy than with the stock one. Not a lot but some. Bar and Plate coolers just remove so much more heat than a tube and fin. I have one from No Limit.

The heavier/thicker the material the more heat it actually retains. The thinner material will dissipate heat quicker

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Well I should have been more clear. The temperature drop of the input and output of a bar and plate intercooler will be greater than the same size tube and fin. This means that the air that is flowing across from front to back heats up more because it is removing more heat. This would be the reason when i am working the truck the coolant temperature is actually higher than it was with the stock intercooler.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Latest posts

Members online