Custom Tuning & Titan Tanks

truckmaniac

Reaction score
My 2015 is tuned and deleted.

I just installed a new 50 gallon Titan Fuel Tank (replacement for stock tank).

The Ford Dealer can change the fuel tank capacity parameter from 29 gallons to 50 gallons, so that my Fuel Gauge and MPG Computer function properly.

The Dealer doesn't know if changing this parameter will have any adverse affect on my custom tune.

My Questions for the Day:

Do I have to return my truck to stock or can the parameter be changed without causing problems for my delete tune?

Is the fuel tank parameter re-set through the main ECM or another module?

I was thinking that I could drive the truck to the Dealership, flash the stock tune to the ECM (without starting the engine), have them change the parameter, re-flash back to my delete tune and drive away. However, I'm not sure if going this route will cause the re-flashed delete tune to over-ride the parameter set on the stock tune.

Buck1

Reaction score
I have to do the same thing to mine. I am presuming they can do it with a Tune. I had a buddy so some other stuff with IDS on mine (enable remote start, update odometer, program keys) while tuned amd had no issue. I will be prepared to flash back to stock, just on case though.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
The diesel tech that I talked to said they used the IDS. But I never know about my dealership. Had a ramrod tell me they had to drop the fuel tank to reprogram it, but that was a guy at the front desk, not a tech.
They still want me to leave it with them for at least three days because of how backed up they are. Can't have my truck in the shop for 3 days just to change the friggen fuel capacity. Wished I knew someone in my area that has an IDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck1

Reaction score
I would maybe look at a different dealer as well. They ought to be able to do that in the fast service diagnosis aisle.

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
I have the Transfer Flow 50 gallon and my calibration was done with the IDS. About a 5 minute job. Not by a Dealer though.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I would maybe look at a different dealer as well. They ought to be able to do that in the fast service diagnosis aisle.

I'll call a guy I know up there to see if he can do anything about it.
Everything around here is crazy. Only one ford dealership in town and one in a town nearby. The one in the next town does appointments but apparently they are backed up until January. The ford house here is backed up "three days" which always turns into 2-3 times as long as they tell me.
I don't have very many options where I'm at unless I know people lol.

So to the OP I'm pretty sure you are fine to get that done with the tunes since it is through IDS?

ftast350

Reaction score
Sorry I don't want to go off topic but have they said anything about it being deleted?
You may want to return the tuning to stock and change it just to make sure but I don't see it messing with any tuning unless they can't access your pcm.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Last time I was in to get mine updated they couldn't do it. No matter what we did we got an invalid computer code on ids. Paid 2hrs labor and got nothing out of it.

Really want to do the 50 gal tank, but have a concern about getting it updated. Wish I knew someone else with more experience who could do the ids update.

Yea, it's tuned.

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
TrickTruck, they just go in and move the check mark from the 25 check box to the 50 check box, at least that's how the 15 is.

ftast350

Reaction score
If they can change the daytime running lights on my explorer in 5 steps on the computer they should be able to do the same for the tanks since it's a stock parameter.

truckmaniac

Reaction score
Everything around here is crazy. Only one ford dealership in town and one in a town nearby. The one in the next town does appointments but apparently they are backed up until January. The ford house here is backed up "three days" which always turns into 2-3 times as long as they tell me.

That's what happens when you live in the middle of an Oil Boom. I'm 100+ miles north of you in Lubbock and our two Ford Dealerships are backed-up with oil field service trucks from your area. Thankfully, they are trying to take care of their Local customers, the ones who support them day in and day out, first.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
Haha yep! Gotta love the oil field, at least I am right now. Last time my truck was in the shop they said "we will get it back to you next week" it turned into my truck being in the shop for 5 weeks before I got it back.. I got a new tranny right before 100K so it's hard to complain about that.. Good thing they take care of me with a loaner even though they aren't really supposed to since my warrantee is gone lol.

Reaction score
Fuel tank size is updated without a reflash. I would try to find an independent shop that has an IDS and knows how to use it first though. If the dealer techs are anything like the guys around here they have no idea how to use the IDS. Very powerful tool with lots of room to mess things up on a modified truck.

truckmaniac

Reaction score
Sorry I don't want to go off topic but have they said anything about it being deleted?

I told them that I was tuned and deleted. It was at this point that the Service Tech told me he wasn't sure if changing the tank capacity calibration would affect my tune or not.

webb06

Reaction score
Fuel tank size is updated without a reflash. I would try to find an independent shop that has an IDS and knows how to use it first though. If the dealer techs are anything like the guys around here they have no idea how to use the IDS. Very powerful tool with lots of room to mess things up on a modified truck.

Not to derail but can a new key be programmed without a reflash?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.