Dana 60 Build and Swap

davey99ps

Reaction score
I already said earlier in the thread that guys do that in mud drags, however, a vehicle leaving the assembly plant that was designed to go down a snowy ice covered road in 4wd will NOT have 2 different gear ratios.

Stroker#66

Reaction score
Ok, but if "he" swapped it in, then it didn't come from the factory with it. No truck rolls off the factory floor with 2 different gear ratios, I don't care if your talking about ford, gm, dodge, Toyota, Nissan etc..

He bought a set of axles out of the Same truck which had a 3.54 front and 3.55 rear. Axle tags confirmed this

m j

Reaction score
So after many years of teasing and ridicule I have finally purchased a Dana 60 for the front end of my 97 F250. Since I am a heavy duty diesel mechanic I have all the tools of the trade and equipment to make this a relatively smooth swap but I have a few questions before going any further. The axle is out of a 94 F350 and has ball joints. I am totally rebuilding it as to eliminate any questions to it's reliability. I have so far removed all the steering components which I am replacing, removed the hubs, spindles and axle shafts. Next to come off will be the knuckles and finally the gear set.
My first question is
1: Since my existing axles have a 3.55 gear ratio which I don't mind, and the donor Dana has a 4.10 ratio what are my options. My parts department is having a hard time finding the gears for a Dana 60 in the 3.55 ratio. Can I use my existing gear set from my Dana 50 TTB and if so what process do I have to take?
2: If I chose to keep the 4.10s or am forced to keep them, how do I know whether I have the Sterling 10.25 or the 10.50?
3: I am planning on lifting my truck with the Dana 60 under it, is it better to get a track bar drop bracket or get an adjustable track bar and use the stock track bar location?
4: The Inner axle shafts on the 60 are getting worn where they meet the inner seals and every aftermarket axle shaft seems to be crome moly, expensive and 35 spline. Are stock axle shafts 35 spline? Can I use these 35 spline shafts with my stock outer axle shafts? Are there 2 piece inner seals available to eliminate any further wear on the shafts and stay with the stock shafts?
5: Final question for now. Do I need a new driveshaft from the transfer case or will the stock shaft work for now? I am planning on going to a 2 piece shaft once lifted but this build is going to be done over a long period of time.

As soon as I'm done stripping it down to housing I will start taking pictures at every step and post them up in a new thread. Thanks for the help and sponsors and shops are welcome to chime in with what they have to offer as well.

1. dana axles are 3.54, as is argued in this thread. easy to find as it is the most common. older ford trucks used 2 common ratios, 4.10 and 3.54. if you want used gears I can swap you for those 4.10, I am over in Mission :) best pricing you will find in canada will be at BCC in abbotsford for install kit and gears and axleshafts...

2. 10.5 only came 99+. you have a 10.25.

3. the stock tracbar is too short. I have no idea why they glued such a short piece in there. I am removing mine so if you havent found one yet and want the factory junk lemme know. I am putting a 34" long one in which is still 2" shorter then the draglink but its tight under there

4. stock inners are 35 spline, outers are 30 spline. check BCC for pricing or talk to northwestfab in parksville. Kyle carries stock Dana stuff and probably good chromos too. i like the chromo stuff personally

5. I have stock shaft in mine. how big are you going?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I already said earlier in the thread that guys do that in mud drags, however, a vehicle leaving the assembly plant that was designed to go down a snowy ice covered road in 4wd will NOT have 2 different gear ratios.

You need to spend more time under these trucks then. Hell, I bet a google search would suffice.
All Dana front axles came with either a 3.54 or 4.10 gear ratio.
All Sterling rear axles came with either a 3.55 or 4.11 gear ratio.
Don't believe me? Check axle tags.
The difference between a 3.54 and 3.55 final drive ratio is negligible. Parasitic drive-train losses and differences in tire wear will more than make up for a 0.3% difference in gear ratio. Truth be told, a 3.54:1 is probably more accurately 3.544:1 and 3.55:1 is probably more accurately 3.548:1

Reaction score
Thank you backwoods for your voice of reason! All correct.

As far as the worn / pitted seal surface on the inner axle shafts:

"Are there 2 piece inner seals available to eliminate any further wear on the shafts and stay with the stock shafts?"

I have successfully used 99 up Dana 60 inner seals to solve this problem. They are a one piece unit but include a wear ring and seal. They can tolerate a pretty rough axle since it no longer seals against the axle, but against itself. You do have to customize the SD seals a bit by grinding a little of the rubber "guide cone" since the OBS Dana 60 doesn't have quite enough room in the seal area inside the tube. Get them in your and and look closely, it will become clear what to do.

Latest posts

Members online