Dana 60 conversion questions

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently swapped a kingpin dana 60, and did rsk at the same time. I am now trying to finish up the front driveshaft. Got a front driveshaft out of a single cab gas truck with a dana 60, I am going to buy a front yoke tomorrow. My question is will any yoke off the front of a f350 4407 case work on mine? My truck is a 96 and the yoke is coming off a transfer case a guy has in his garage that came off an 89 f350 extended cab truck. Anybody know anything?

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently swapped a kingpin dana 60, and did rsk at the same time. I am now trying to finish up the front driveshaft. Got a front driveshaft out of a single cab gas truck with a dana 60, I am going to buy a front yoke tomorrow. My question is will any yoke off the front of a f350 4407 case work on mine? My truck is a 96 and the yoke is coming off a transfer case a guy has in his garage that came off an 89 f350 extended cab truck. Anybody know anything?

No.. 80s-95 used a 1356 T-case
96/97 used a 4407.

The yoke in NOT interchangeable between the 2 cases. You NEED one from a 4407 F350

Also, the front driveshaft would to of come from the same trans as your truck.
(if you have a E4OD, then it has to come from a E4OD donor)

Same goes if you have a 5 speed, it needs to come from a 5 speed

They are different lengths. or you can retube the shaft you get to the right length

Reaction score
Thanks for the info brad, I was Hoping you would chime in. The drive shaft is coming out of a truck with an E4OD, it is a gas truck (5.8) but I measured from yoke to yoke on my truck and it was 42 inches and from yoke to yoke on the donor truck it was 41 inches. I am hoping that it will be close enough.

Also what you're saying is that all trucks 80-95 used the 1356 even if they were crew/extended cabs?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The yoke that you need is obsolete. Unless you can find one in the junk yard, there is a guy on E-bay that is re-producing the yoke.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4407-TRANSF...-CV-/300996468910?hash=item4614c9a0ae&vxp=mtr

Instead of d!cking around with driveshafts, I would do the following:
- Get the F350 driveshaft, it has the double cardan joint. The joint is what your after.
- Buy and install the new yoke.
- Take a measurement between the xfer case yoke and D60 yoke
- Take both driveshafts (F250 and F350) and the measurement with you a driveshaft shop.
- Have the shop install the double cardan joint on the F250 shaft.

The F250 shaft is too long and needs to be shortened. Shorten driveshafts is easier than lengthen them.

If the rear output on the xfer case is a flange; it's a 4407. If there is a yoke, it's a 1356.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Reaction score
@ Billy T. thanks for the info but I am getting the panhad bar and the drive shaft together fro 95 $ so I dont think it will be worth it to go through all the trouble. Also has anybody used the yoke off ebay? I would be scared that it wouldn't fit.

@rusty1161 I saw that conversion and It wouldn't be worth it for me since I am never going above stage 2 sticks and a d66, thank you for the input though.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The Panhard rod aka: Trac bar is a must. Don't forget the the bracket for it and the drivers side u-bolt bracket.

IMHO: you're going to have to do some kind of mod for the driveshaft. The xfer case yoke is a must if you want to use the double cardan joint.

The length of the TTB D50 is different from the D60. I doubt Ford made a front driveshaft of the PROPER length.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I got the f350 shaft and panhard bar bracket. I went to get a yoke but the guy only had single cabs and one extended cab that was an abortion, originally an 88 with a nose swap and a 1356 transfer case, so no dice. I am thinking about buying the yoke from ebay, and the panhard bar from pmf.

brettboat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
And this is why I had Tom Woods build my drive shaft. $500 plus a $200 custom yoke and I was done, no hunting for the impossible.

Reaction score
And this is why I had Tom Woods build my drive shaft. $500 plus a $200 custom yoke and I was done, no hunting for the impossible.

I thought about having it built but in the end I just got the yoke new off eBAy, and the driveshaft/panhard bar bracket from a local junkyard for 95.

Latest posts

Members online