DD clutch for a ZF6 What do you all use?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Talked to Haisley today. I told them what I plan on doing with the pickup. Daily driving and heavy towing, Allong with a couple hooks a year. And some 4000 RPM launches on the track.

They told me they would recommend the Street drag clutch.. That clutch has Ceramic discs.... They told me the Street Puller clutch should not be used as a DD clutch or used for towing?? There web site says it is ment for that??

What do you all think about this information?

they are the ones who built them, i would go with what they recommend! did you ask them why the website says otherwise?

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Just checking back in about the sb fdd36006 I brought up a few days ago. After being able to drive it a few days and tow a little I will say it holds power fine. Towing was sub 15k and no issues there. Very smooth. Slow to shift and a pita to get back into gear if you like resting your leg at stop lights like I do. I'm happy with it and may try pulling it once, but certainly won't be leaving at 4k.

Thanks for the update!! Sounds like you are off to a good start in testing the clutch. So it take longer to put into gear from a stop to? I might not mind that to much.

Keep me posted on what you think of it.

Thanks!!

they are the ones who built them, i would go with what they recommend! did you ask them why the website says otherwise?

I never asked him why the web site says what it says. I thought about it but I had to get moving again.

I have thought about way they said what they said. Just after hearing what the guys say that run ceramic clutches and tried launching them after a bit they lip even driving normally..

I really do not want that to happen to me. I would like it to atleast last for a couple year! Or better!

Reaction score
I never asked him why the web site says what it says. I thought about it but I had to get moving again.

I have thought about way they said what they said. Just after hearing what the guys say that run ceramic clutches and tried launching them after a bit they lip even driving normally..

I really do not want that to happen to me. I would like it to atleast last for a couple year! Or better!

I would imagine you'll get 10, maybe 15 launches from it. How many pulls a year do you plan on making?

JHILL

Reaction score
fwiw, mine doesnt beat around and make that kind a noise, it sounds like sanding a piece of wood on a belt sander.

QUOTE=nwpastroker;685796]Just checking back in about the sb fdd36006 I brought up a few days ago. After being able to drive it a few days and tow a little I will say it holds power fine. Towing was sub 15k and no issues there. Very smooth. Slow to shift and a pita to get back into gear if you like resting your leg at stop lights like I do. I'm happy with it and may try pulling it once, but certainly won't be leaving at 4k.[/QUOTE]

IME, as you described . with out excessive rpm it will last many miles.

4th gear synchro is going on mine, it has a few miles on it LOL started around 325k. 10k so far DD with the sintered iron solid disks was not an improvment:doh:.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I would imagine you'll get 10, maybe 15 launches from it. How many pulls a year do you plan on making?

I plan on going to two pulls a year. Depending on classes I might get as many as two pulls per event. So maybe four? That also does not count launching it for racing.. Might never do a real race. just some test launches on some back highway..

I would think the launch for a drag would not be as bad is a launch pulling a sled. There should be less slippage on the drag race.

JHILL The Heavy sintered Iron disk took your syncros out faster?

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Charles is dead on. I discussed this subject with him and a few others regarding my clutch purchase awhile back. Finally decided to go with the south bend 3250 dual disk. It was a nice clutch for the most part, held the little power I make with a lot of weight behind the truck. It didn't chatter much, had a smooth engagement, and could handle being slipped.
That being said, I hated driving the truck after going to that dual disk from a stock clutch. It shifted like hammered ****, and my trans was in great shape. Nothing was wrong with the syncro's or hydraulics, held each gear, and went in and out of each gear just fine. But it felt like you were rowing a boat, it took 2 or 3 seconds to slide into the next gear without forcing it. It became really annoying to daily drive, and tow with. So that's why I have a BTS and a PCS now. :D
I liked the manual and would get another truck with a zf6 again, but not with anything but a single disk.

Good luck in your decision.

nasty6.6

Reaction score
Damn I thought i had it figured out then I read this...
dd or sd
sb or valair
ceramic or iron
noisy or quiet
heavy clutch light clutch

I guess ill call south bend tmw.....

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Charles is dead on. I discussed this subject with him and a few others regarding my clutch purchase awhile back. Finally decided to go with the south bend 3250 dual disk. It was a nice clutch for the most part, held the little power I make with a lot of weight behind the truck. It didn't chatter much, had a smooth engagement, and could handle being slipped.
That being said, I hated driving the truck after going to that dual disk from a stock clutch. It shifted like hammered ****, and my trans was in great shape. Nothing was wrong with the syncro's or hydraulics, held each gear, and went in and out of each gear just fine. But it felt like you were rowing a boat, it took 2 or 3 seconds to slide into the next gear without forcing it. It became really annoying to daily drive, and tow with. So that's why I have a BTS and a PCS now. :D
I liked the manual and would get another truck with a zf6 again, but not with anything but a single disk.

Good luck in your decision.

Yea I hear you there. I would just stay with a single If i did not want to launch it.

BUT I do so I have to pay for it one way or the other.
Damn I thought i had it figured out then I read this...
dd or sd
sb or valair
ceramic or iron
noisy or quiet
heavy clutch light clutch

I guess ill call south bend tmw.....

If you still have stock fuel no need for a DD clutch unless you want to sled pull or launch it.

I could sell you my Single cheap after I get a clutch that can hold my power..

I have a Valair Single 500/1000

Charles

Reaction score
Just checking back in about the sb fdd36006 I brought up a few days ago. After being able to drive it a few days and tow a little I will say it holds power fine. Towing was sub 15k and no issues there. Very smooth. Slow to shift and a pita to get back into gear if you like resting your leg at stop lights like I do. I'm happy with it and may try pulling it once, but certainly won't be leaving at 4k.

This is so dead on my experience with clutches that I hope others can understand why I don't get it when people seem perfectly happy driving a truck like that.

Op.... think long and hard. And decide how important sliding that clutch is... vs fighting a clutch every day.

nwpastroker

Reaction score
Charles, 2 years ago I would've argued with you till I was blue in the face about how much better a standard is. Now, after riding in a bts truck, the "manliness" of have a stick for lack of better terms is far diminished by the simplistic get in and go of a bts. When funds allow, I will try to go that route. I have no large cities within 100 miles of me, and the stop and go of back country roads where all you do is slow down to 20 still sucks. I can't imagine a dd in a large city. As far as hp capabilities, I can't tell you whethèr or not mine holds the 750 it's rated for, but I am hoping I'm pushing 600 through it anyhow

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
This is so dead on my experience with clutches that I hope others can understand why I don't get it when people seem perfectly happy driving a truck like that.

Op.... think long and hard. And decide how important sliding that clutch is... vs fighting a clutch every day.

Charles I am regretting switching from the ZF5 to the ZF6. The ZF5 shifted faster and better then the ZF6 did. BUT I like the gears of the ZF6 better.
So it is a toss up. The ZF6 is nicer for towing. The ZF5 would make a better "drag" Tranny if you could say that about a manual.

Charles I cant seem to make up my mind on what I want to do. I think if I Go with a DD it will be Haisley "Street Drag" Clutch.

There is a cummins guy that did this with the Street drag clutch. 12.68 @ 109.5 MPH, 1.75 sixty. He had over 100 passes on it before it needed rebuilt.
There is another guy that had the Street Drag clutch and he did 13.2 at 112 mph.

The one guy Did some test and he said the Street drag hubs were lighter then a Sprung hub off a Single disk south bend.. That should help it shift really good! as far as speed goes. They just say it makes some noise at really low RPMs It just make the transmission Vibrate.

I think my choice will be the street drag. Just have not convinced myself yet.. :D

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The one guy Did some test and he said the Street drag hubs were lighter then a Sprung hub off a Single disk south bend.. That should help it shift really good! as far as speed goes. They just say it makes some noise at really low RPMs It just make the transmission Vibrate.

I think my choice will be the street drag. Just have not convinced myself yet.. :D

mine did that horribly with the stocker in it! only time mine makes any noise is when the clutch is pushed in!

op, i know that your set on a clutch already.. i am just adding to the thread for the next guy to come along and read other options... like said before, for $1k, this stuff i have listed wont bother me what so ever as long as it holds...

JHILL

Reaction score
This is so dead on my experience with clutches
OP ... think long and hard. And decide how important sliding that clutch is... vs fighting a clutch every day.

:whs: very good advise,

JHILL The Heavy sintered Iron disk took your syncros out faster?

I wouldn't say faster, it was clipping 4th gear with 2nd ceramic clutch before,
with the SI it will grind badly if you do not wait on it a good while then it will drop right in. Going back and forth between my 99 and stock '02 350 12k+ work truck doesn't help. :D

big_stroker

Reaction score
I'm running a Valair full ceramic DD rated for 650hp and love it. It is grabby but I tow with it all the time and never have any problems.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
:whs: very good advise,

I wouldn't say faster, it was clipping 4th gear with 2nd ceramic clutch before,
with the SI it will grind badly if you do not wait on it a good while then it will drop right in. Going back and forth between my 99 and stock '02 350 12k+ work truck doesn't help. :D

Yea the advice Charles gave was (is) good advice. I do not know i might stay with what I have for a bit. I now have tunes that do not slip the clutch under full throttle. But still It would be nice to be able to use the injectors to there fullest. And For sled pulling I would need a DD clutch. We will see though!

I have a couple gears that click as it goes in. Unless I wait just a little bit before putting it in gear. We will see High quality oil should help with that a little to.

Thanks again!

hwrdbd

Reaction score
I'm now running the same clutch as big stroker, the valair full ceramic 650hp version. It's certainly more than I'll ever need, but as I finish my build I don't want a weak link. It has been a great functioning clutch so far. I didn't notice any significant loss of shifting speed, but maybe that's because my wore out stocker was totally shot. It is definitely a little grabby, but very manageable. I'm still getting used to the feel of the pedal now, and not having it engage all the way at the bottom of the stroke. I think a big factor in consistently smooth starting is having good tuning that provides a nice linear pedal. I went to the Luke Bryan concert in Hartford yesterday, lots of sitting in traffic, not the ideal situation for this clutch.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks you for the information! There is a lot of good clutches out there. And I guess there is just no "perfect" clutch. Unless you buy it for just one thing and one thing and one thing only. Pulling.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I'm now running the same clutch as big stroker, the valair full ceramic 650hp version. It's certainly more than I'll ever need, but as I finish my build I don't want a weak link. It has been a great functioning clutch so far. I didn't notice any significant loss of shifting speed, but maybe that's because my wore out stocker was totally shot. It is definitely a little grabby, but very manageable. I'm still getting used to the feel of the pedal now, and not having it engage all the way at the bottom of the stroke. I think a big factor in consistently smooth starting is having good tuning that provides a nice linear pedal. I went to the Luke Bryan concert in Hartford yesterday, lots of sitting in traffic, not the ideal situation for this clutch.

Of topic but where in ct do you live?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.