DD Dual disch clutch

SDstroker

Reaction score
DD Dual disc clutch

I am at the point now where I need a dual disc clutch. My Valair ceramic/kevlar tells me to f-off when I get on it. So.... its between Valairs FDD32506 (650/1300) and South Bends FDD32506 (650/1200). The truck is mainly a DD and toy hauler. Anyone have any input on these clutches or any other recommendations?

Last edited:

V-Ref

Reaction score
Single disc CON OFE clutch didn't hold much past 35 psi for very long....called SB...they sold me a Street Dual Disc....the price reflected customer loyalty FWIW. Maybe Valair has a simliar program.

I daily drive it. You'd never know it was there as a passenger, or as a driver. As a "new" driver to it, backing a heavier trailer up a incline, my technique could still produce a very small hop. The extra rotating mass did slow the shifts down a bit, but I'm not a drag racer, so no biggie for me.

I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either one. I've had a great experience with South Bend.

Hope that helps.

87jumpy

Reaction score
I've had terrible luck so far with my south bend 3850 in my 6.4... it's a little different than a 7.3 tho

I have installed a couple valairs in Dodge's and had good luck with them

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

SDstroker

Reaction score
Single disc CON OFE clutch didn't hold much past 35 psi for very long....called SB...they sold me a Street Dual Disc....the price reflected customer loyalty FWIW. Maybe Valair has a simliar program.

I daily drive it. You'd never know it was there as a passenger, or as a driver. As a "new" driver to it, backing a heavier trailer up a incline, my technique could still produce a very small hop. The extra rotating mass did slow the shifts down a bit, but I'm not a drag racer, so no biggie for me.

I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either one. I've had a great experience with South Bend.

Hope that helps.

Yea no drag racing here. Maybe a weekend dyno would be about the extent. Hows the pedal & grab? I have never had a stock clutch so I have nothing to reference to but with my kevlar/ceramic, it can get a little grabby.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I went from a stock clutch to south bends 3250 dual disk and it's everything south bend said it would be. Its really a great clutch and not nearly as grabby as you might think. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it slowed the shifts down a bit.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
That is due to spinning a second friction disc attached to the input shaft of the transmisssison and the synchros have to work twice as hard to sync the gears together, for those who didn't know

V-Ref

Reaction score
Yea no drag racing here. Maybe a weekend dyno would be about the extent. Hows the pedal & grab? I have never had a stock clutch so I have nothing to reference to but with my kevlar/ceramic, it can get a little grabby.

I think that's a big advantage the DD allows for.... Ability to hold moderate power levels, and still have good manners. You'd get in and drive the clutch like a stocker. It's a shade more positive on/off, but barely.

Pstang-Do you know what power level the street DD Haisley is rated for? Good street/towing manners? Plate pressure? If its over 3250, do you or other high hp pullers have any experiences on higher plate pressures vs the service life of factory hydraulics? Thanks.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
Haisley is smart and doesnt rate based on power. I believe dieselfever has ran one for a long time. I used a 3850 valair for a lil while and the hydros worked fine and was barely stiffer tgan stock. Now i run a haisley comp puller thats weighted and the factory hydros didn much like it i think as i didn have any pedal till ten minutes after i pulled. Now i am using a pull type universal hydro setup for like a circle track car. It is a real stiff pedal now but i still have pedal at the end. I blew the slave after 6 hooks but its only a $15 rebuild kit lol. Anyway i like my haisley even though there are not always the best to deal with unless you are a priority customer. I do know though the comp puller is only 11" and it holds up in 1200hp+ trucks.

SDstroker

Reaction score
Maybe a mod can help with my title spelling and I ment to say the Valair NMU73DDZF6.
I would like to know more about Haisley clutch, might call them this after noon. They have a few selections to choose from. Anyone else ran one of Haisley clutches? I have never dynoed my truck but I am guessing I am around 600 with my setup now. On a little side note, does anyone know where to buy the pre-bled master/salve? Local napa and orileys have to piece them together.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Maybe a mod can help with my title spelling and I ment to say the Valair NMU73DDZF6.
I would like to know more about Haisley clutch, might call them this after noon. They have a few selections to choose from. Anyone else ran one of Haisley clutches? I have never dynoed my truck but I am guessing I am around 600 with my setup now. On a little side note, does anyone know where to buy the pre-bled master/salve? Local napa and orileys have to piece them together.

The dealer is the only place I know of that sells the pre bled master/ slave cylinder.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I just checked the box and the bag that my pre bled hydraulics came in, there isn't a part number on either. You'll probably just have to talk with your dealer.

sniper_101

Reaction score
I bought a pre-bled master/slave system from Napa a year and some ago. Can't remember what brand it was, but it was about 25% cheaper than through Ford. Although my buddy worked there, so maybe there was a discount.

Also, I'm pleased with my (350hp) single disc ValAir for my low-HP setup. I should be making a little under the rated power. Although I don't tow heavy, rarely slip it more than normal, and drive pretty casual, but the customer service was pretty good when I had initial questions and the price was awesome.

The supplied pilot bearing and throw-out were trashed in exactly one year. A South Bend Clutch Kevlar Pilot Bushing and a Ford brand throw out bearing were tossed in and completely eliminated my chatter and jumping (most likely all from the ValAir throw out).

Just my experience with my junk anyway, lol.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Definately Valair. Ive had both SB and Valair clutchs...looking at them side by side and comparing design features tells all. Along with price and customer service. Valair wins.

SDstroker

Reaction score
The general consensus seems to be Valair. Do a lot of you guys use the kevlar bushing in these are just run the roller bearing?

Latest posts

Members online