Decarb 6.4

BigNiner19

Reaction score
Anyone ever took the air intake off and spray some carb cleaner or try and decarb inside there? Ive done this on older gas engines and found throttle response, idle, all around running was smoother.

Any pros or cons?

I ask because ive got high mileage I'm sure I have some carbon buildup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
I wouldn't. The carb cleaner will just end up running right down to the pistons causing a misfire when you go to start it. Plus there is probably about a 1/2" thick buildup so it would take a bunch to clean it

BigNiner19

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Just didnt look like taking the intake off is an afternoon job to "clean". Bummer

JMart

Reaction score
Anyone ever took the air intake off and spray some carb cleaner or try and decarb inside there? Ive done this on older gas engines and found throttle response, idle, all around running was smoother.

Any pros or cons?

I ask because ive got high mileage I'm sure I have some carbon buildup.

You will just be spraying it into your turbos, then through the intercooler before it gets anywhere.

It works on gas engines because you are cleaning the throttle body. Not the case here.

webb06

Reaction score
You will just be spraying it into your turbos, then through the intercooler before it gets anywhere.

It works on gas engines because you are cleaning the throttle body. Not the case here.

Pretty sure he was talking about taking the intake elbow off and spraying directly into the intake.

mcutler

Reaction score
Just redid my top end, heads, studs, ccv mod, dropped intake off with the heads and had them clean it out. Good as new. Make sure you pull the sensors.

protraxrptr17

Reaction score
One of my customers tried to do this on his Duramax. He did it while it was running. Slowly poured sea foam into the intake tube where it connects to the air box. He said it didn't do much on the first two cans. On the third can, it ran away. Needless to say, I'm replacing the whole engine (today actually). He's a really smart guy. Just didn't think the whole thing through before doing it. He had seen me do it on a couple gas burners.

I know the OP wasn't planning on doing it this way, just thought it was a cool story.

Latest posts

Members online