DEF in fuel tank!

Seabass

Reaction score
Customer messed up and put 5 gallons of DEF in the fuel tank (idiot)…now what? drop the tank and drain it?

Motostroker

Reaction score
Did he run it long? If he immediately caught his mistake. Put a electric pump to her and suck it out, refuel with fresh diesel. Change filters, and do burnouts....

sootie

Reaction score
just don't run the damn thing that's alll. either suck the fuel out or drop the tank

Spatel23

Reaction score
I literally just dropped my tank today.
I suggest pumping it out lol
Damn transferflow is a heavy bastard even with less then 10 gallons in it

littleredstroker

Reaction score
is it as simple as connecting a drain line to a disconnected fuel line ? then just turn key on if it will stay on or jump a relay? idk if it was me that's how I would do it. then just keepfilling the tank with fuel till it flushes 2-3 tank fulls through.. will be expensive but that seems like it would be easiest...

Cknox121

Reaction score
Nothing new. Bought new 6.7 for work, employee put def in fuel take drove 150 miles, truck shut off. Around 12k later it's finally acting right. Then last week put gas in the same truck. WTF? Drug test time lol.

I would drain, flush, drain flush, drain, fill with fuel, take filters out, turn key on and let new fuel run through line the change filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattmal9

Reaction score
I cant remember where I read it (sorry), but from what I've read don't drive or run the truck at all and completely drain the tank. I read that it crystallizes in the filters and if you actually run the truck will ruin practically the entire fuel system.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
If he ran the truck afterwards, more than likely he's ***ed.
We just had a $32k repair bill on a MX-13 a driver ran DEF through.

PDT1081

Reaction score
I cant remember where I read it (sorry), but from what I've read don't drive or run the truck at all and completely drain the tank. I read that it crystallizes in the filters and if you actually run the truck will ruin practically the entire fuel system.

It is mostly water. 5 gallons of DEF probably contains 3.5 gallons of water. I didn't look it up for exact numbers, but you get the idea.

jcain

Reaction score
My buddy put def in his 6.7 as well. Called me and I told him I'd tow it home and drop the tank and flush. He called dealer after me and they told.him to drive it in. It broke down 50miles later, 1/2mile from dealer. They delivered him an $18,000 repair bill. Def crystallizes and ruins everything.

Seabass

Reaction score
thanks guys. There's probably a check ball in the filler neck, so doing the ol' 70's car trick ain't gonna work. i'll just disconnect a line and rig up a pump to suck it out, unless i can use the same trick i did on a 6 liter to drain gas out the tank

tms217

Reaction score
Drain it.. DEF is 32.5% Urea and 67.5% water.. Dont forget, Urea is EXTREMELY corrosive to anything but plastic and stainless steel...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.