Definite oil leak.. Maybe brake fluid? Pictures inside.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
This is a definite this time, I have some type of fluid leak. It only does it when my truck is facing down a hill. I seen it for the first time Monday morning. So I parked on flat ground at work and nothing. Last night I faced nose down again and its back. At first I thought it was an oil leak as it looked slightly brown/clear. I changed my oil not too long ago. Upon closer inspection it looks to be brake fluid possibly? When I touched it and rubbed it it wasnt really slick like oil but almost felt dry like brake fluid, but a with a tad lubricity. I cant really see where its coming from inside the bay, as the valley, ICP ( near glow plug module on valve cover right? Its an 06. ) all that is dry as a bone. Even the valve covers look good.

Where I can see it though inside the bay is on the shock tower ( where the spring and shock mount to ) I see something running there. Could it be AC freon? I havent used it... None the less here are the pictures. Im hoping to meet up with Mitch this weekend but Id like to figure out if its something bad ASAP. If it were brake fluid I would see my brake res. start to become low right ( dumb question, just checking the obvious )

img20130409105517573.jpg

img20130409104636067.jpg

img20130409104541214.jpg

907DAVE

Reaction score
If water will rinse it of without leaving any residue then it is brake fluid.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Is there a junction ( I dont know the right name ) or a block of some sort above that shock tower?

edited: I tried to get pictures of the drips but, I cant get the drips its too dark under there but it doesnt seem to be oil but more brake fluid or coolant. When I touch the drips/wetness and rub it into my fingers then wipe it off onto my pants, my fingers get sticky feeling. That seems like coolant to me, right? The old spot is dry and not oily but it defined as a dark spot. So whatever it is seemed to either evaporate and leave a residue behind or just stained the asphalt.

Last edited:

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Yeah I'm wondering if there is a hole in the ac system as that is also above the leak. Like I said when I touched it and then wiped off my fingers they were sticky feeling... Not a side effect of oil. I was thinking coolant. That does get a sticky feeling when its on your hands

yeehaw

Reaction score
the antifreeze they run in these trucks does evaporate, it usually leaves a yellow looking dust left behind though. Is it wet any where on top of the engine? Like in the valley per say?

Latest posts

Members online