Degas bottle ??? Oil

Dieselroller

Reaction score
I have an 06 6.0 psd, with minor mods. I've noticed oil in the degas bottle and under strain the bottle blows fluid Out the cap. What could cause this? The bottle is new, but the cap is old. The old bottle was warped and cracked when I got the truck. Doesn't run hot or anything. No white smoke. Any help would be appriciated.

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
Oil cooler is failing. This is were the oil and coolant mix.
If you have the dollars I would recomend hg job with studs and new oil cooler and egr delete.
How far are you from Tulsa OK?

78f100

Reaction score
If you are sure its oil in the degas it's the oil cooler. If its fuel in there its injector cups.

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
Powerstroke magic will take good care of you, they are in Houston.. just call and talk to Garret.. they have a finance program too if you can qualify...

78f100

Reaction score
Fuel will be pretty obvious according to what coolant you have but it will be bright green/yellow film floating on the coolant. You can smell the fuel really strong in the degas bottle also.

Snake

Reaction score
Oil cooler has ruptured, and it's going to be very important that the cooling system is flushed well.

As mentioned, you would be able to tell with a quick sniff test if it was diesel. And FYI, if it happened to be diesel in the coolant, it would have been caused by cracked heads. Not injector cups.

Dieselroller

Reaction score
Yea, there's no diesel smell. 99% sure it's oil. Will that cause it to have poor top end power? And cause it to puke out the degas cap?

MorganY

Reaction score
As stated before, sounds like a ruptured oil cooler. Take it to Power stroke Magic, right off 290 and N fairbanks, they will get you taken care of. Cooling system needs to be flushed extremely well.

Snake

Reaction score
If you're oil cooler has ruptured and you still have your EGR cooler, that's probably toast also. And if that's a true statement, your head gaskets are most likely blown as well. That's where the degas bottle puking is coming from.

Regarding the loss of power -- the injectors are dependent on oil for proper functioning. You have coolant mixing in with your oil. so hopefully you can quickly understand the impacts.

Latest posts

Members online