Diagnosis Help

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
First video is a "cold start". Roughly 66* ambient temp. Truck sat overnight. You can hear the miss and rough idle as I am walking around the truck, as well as while the engine has a load on it. At the end of the video I am pedal to the floor trying to climb a small hill. Truck has absolutely no balls until EOT reaches 150*. After that things smooth out somewhat but it is still down on power.
ICP and IPR% never get out of line. On a 50-100mph pull it will hold 3000psi @ ~40% DC.
Second video is a hot start. 60* ambient, after a 30 mile run on the highway @70mph. EOT= 200*. Truck was shut off for roughly 30 seconds and then restarted.
No CEL or DTC's.
I have done a number of CCT tests and they are all over the place. Cyl #1 fails pretty consistently, as well as Cyl #4.
I have a feeling I know what is wrong, just want some validation before I start tearing into it.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
did that monitor say 800ish icp at idle? 66° is by no means a cold start issue and im going with you either have a sensor messed up or you have a injector hanging up until the oil thins out. my 01 does the exact same thing. after its warm it runs smooth as butter.

TARM

Reaction score
I wohld not call it a dead miss at leazt i the fjrst video. Its a rough idle that does seem to vary a bit but a dead miss, at least the ones I have heard from bent pushrods or xead cylinders are consistent in sound and timing. I have not gotten to the other videos yet. No doubt tbat it struggles to start.

V-Ref

Reaction score
18% duty cycle seems awful high for 67 degree oil/800 icp....hmmm

That parameter kinda sticks out at me...

What nozzles/injs are in the truck? What's the max DC% with the correlating ICP do you see on a high power run? How quick does icp ramp up vs throttle %?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Injectors are about a month old. They are 160/100.
That "cold start" video was taken with factory tune on the truck. I pulled the chip to confirm it wasn't a tuning issue.
I can hit 3200 psi with 40-50% duty cycle on a WOT 50-100 run. So essentially a pull from 3rd O/D locked up through 4th. I have no doubt the pump is less than optimal, she has some miles on her, but I don't personally think it is the root cause of my issue. ICP builds quickly on a cold start. More often than not it ramps all the way up to ~2800 psi before the engine lights off.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
18% duty cycle seems awful high for 67 degree oil/800 icp....hmmm

That parameter kinda sticks out at me...

What nozzles/injs are in the truck? What's the max DC% with the correlating ICP do you see on a high power run? How quick does icp ramp up vs throttle %?
thats what I was thinking.

I would guess the icp sensor is jacked or ipr is sticking till oil thins a lil. or one cylinder is low on compression till hot. then smooths out.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Compression is good. All were 385 +/- 5psi when I had the valve covers off a month ago.

Should add, all of these issues started shortly after the injector swap and have been getting progressively worse.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
This is just getting more and more weird.
Truck started and romped for about 30 seconds, then died the two times I tried to start it before grabbing a camera.
Really not sure if I should start on the mechanical or electrical side of things.
Video below:
th_DSCF0001_zps8a82fe73.png

Let it idle for about 10 minutes, shut it down and fired back up without issue.
th_DSCF0001_zps52dcc5e7.png

Last edited:

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
No one has anything? I thought for sure someone would have seen something similar to this.

In any case, I am going to replace UVCH, valve cover gasket and solder in new injector harness pigtails this weekend.
Ohmed the harness' out today and everything appeared good. Did notice a trace of oil seeping through a connector at valve cover gasket. Not convinced this is my issue but if I can eliminate the possibility and do some preventative maintenance at the same time, I figure why not.
While I have the valve covers off I plan on ohming out resistance in the injector solenoids, as well as remove solenoid and check clearance at the armature plate.
IPR% has been increasing alarmingly fast at cold start. What was 14% IPR is now approaching 20% at ~70* EOT. IPR% drops down to its typical 10-12% once oil is at operating temps.
Power has also been decreasing noticeably until oil reaches operating temp, accompanied by excessive black smoke. Truck will barely get out of it's own way under any kind of load until EOT reaches ~150*.
You can audibly hear the engine chugging under load or on any type of hill, similar to retarded injection timing.

TARM

Reaction score
Before you throw money at it first at the very least diagnose the parts you are planning to replace. To rule out the wiring from the IDM all the way to the injector soleniod pull the IDM connector and OHM each of the connections and test the ground. You should get 2.8-3.6 but the lower end is considered spec.

Here is the instructions with diagram http://www.gbreman.com/techbulletin_103.html What you should look for is one bank or individuals that are way off the others. If there is a dif say 2.8 and 2.9 that nothing. But if I got one bank 2.9 and the other 3.5 regardless of it still being in spec I would be checking or replacing the later.

If they all come back good it is just wasting money to buy new UVCHs.

You can also check the wiring coming out of the top harness connection where its going over the valve cover. Disconnect and check it carefully.

Honestly though if you had IDM issues you would be getting the IDM code even if it was intermittent it would stay logged.

IPR going up is starting to sound like you might have o rings going out. There has been some orings that seem to be a defective lot as a number of people with fairly new injector installs have had torn orings.

Put to some into the oil rails and listen for where its pissing out may help to find the injector in that case. Honestly though if its more than one I would replace all 8 of sets. One can be written off as bad install but a few doubtful.

Last edited:

V-Ref

Reaction score
Can you add a video of driving the truck under the conditions when it acts sluggish. ....and have throttle % on the CTS along with IPR, ICP, and PW?

I'd like too see how quickly ICP responds to throttle % increase under the sluggish condition....while watching the PW and DC% at the same time.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
do you have a spare cps by chance?

Yeah I've got a few spares floating around the shop. I'll try swapping it out and see if any difference is made.

Can you add a video of driving the truck under the conditions when it acts sluggish. ....and have throttle % on the CTS along with IPR, ICP, and PW?

I'd like too see how quickly ICP responds to throttle % increase under the sluggish condition....while watching the PW and DC% at the same time.

Tried to get a video tonight, but it was dark enough the auto focus on my camera wouldn't work. I'll try and get another tomorrow.
Summary:
60% TPS
850 RPM
2400 PSI ICP
30% IPR DC
This was trying to climb a short little hill onto a main road. Truck just sat there and lugged, then all of a sudden took off. Very strange.

Took it into town to get fuel, and on the return trip noticed it hazing while sitting at a stop light. Hazed through 1st and 2nd. Not sure if it cleared up in 3rd or if I was moving fast enough that it wasn't noticeable.
Then developed a miss in 3rd OD locked. First time it has had a miss once engine was up to temp.
Truck is going to get parked until I can investigate further.

Really sucks because I spent my days off prior to starting this new job doing the injector install, re-plumbing the fuel system and a bunch of other routine maintenance so I wouldn't have to touch the truck for a while. Result is I've gone from having a reliable rig to this chit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.