Did My Fuel Pump Just Tap Out?

cory151

Reaction score
Driving home from the motocross track today and was less than 1 mile from the house when the thing just started to die.

The only code on the minimax was the P0231 (cleared it, it never came back). Reset the inertia switch on the side of passenger glove box and and it turns but no start. I can hear the pump making noise but when I open the filter drain nothing come out UNTIL the pump stops cycling. Not sure if thats normal or not.

Ive got no issues dropping in a new pump right on the side of the road. Does it sound like the pump? Is it just a standard Walboro? Who's replaced one? What were the symptoms? Any help is greatly appreciated. .

cory151

Reaction score
Forgot to mention its got about 140k on it and has been the most trouble free truck Ive owned thus for. Last year it made two trips from San Diego to New York hauling a load without so much as a hiccup. Its gets new oil every 3-5k and new fuel filters every other oil change.

Reaction score
You have a 6.4? It's gonna require a ford pump or an aftermarket fuel and filtering device. Never seen a whalbro pump and filtering unit to be a stock replacement on a 6.4. When was the last time you changed both fuel filters?

cory151

Reaction score
You have a 6.4? It's gonna require a ford pump or an aftermarket fuel and filtering device. Never seen a whalbro pump and filtering unit to be a stock replacement on a 6.4. When was the last time you changed both fuel filters?

Yep 6.4, I did the filters about 5 months ago. Never had a reason to try this before but currently with the water step drain open and the pump running nothing comes out, however as soon as the pump stops cycling fuel starts to run out of the nipple.

Last edited:

cory151

Reaction score
Yeah your could check fuel pressure at the engine up on the fuel cooler. Gotta have the drain closed to pump fuel.

Checked the pressure and its saying Im getting between 2.5-3 psi while the pump is on. Also I rescanned for the hell of it and its coming back with a P1260.

Do you think this could be what caused it to just die while going down the freeway? Does this mean it has to be towed to the stearlership, as Im assuming its now a vats issue?

cory151

Reaction score
Well the stealership wants me to put my DPF back on so they can check codes. The kicker is they want $700 just to slap my DPF on.

cory151

Reaction score
spoke with the tech and he said its not the HPFP as it is putting out 25,000psi (max pressure while cranking). That's got to be a bad fuel rail pressure sensor, right?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Depends. If it reads that without cranking then yes. Should only take 4000 psi to start

dialedin

Reaction score
Hate to say it but that's the same thing mine did . When the pump was apart the vanes were were all scored . So I did the hpfp, injectors, lines and a few other things . Not to bad of a job.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PSP DIESEL

Reaction score
IF THE CODE P1260 IS STORED, YOU MUST FIRST CLEAR IT FROM MEMORY. I'VE HAD THIS ISSUE SEVERAL TIMES, PERFORM A KOEO TEST CLEAR CODE AND RETRY.

Latest posts

Members online