Diesel Transfer tank questions

ohiostroker95

Reaction score
I got a really good deal on a used 100 gallon transfer tank with a pump so i went ahead and got it. Inside doesnt look very bad but would still like to clean it out and was wondering what the best way to clean it out would be. Also it has a regular spin on filter on the pump and was wondering what the best kind of filter to use would be. Looked online and a lot of guys seem to like the goldenrod filter assembly because you can see in it to see any dirt. Also, what would be the best kind of additive to use in the tank to keep the fuel clean.
Figured some of you guys have to have experience with transfer tanks.

Thanks!

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
rinse it with diesel

put some in there, slosh it around, dump it out.

repeat a few times, call it a day.

then.

if you take a piece of hose, i use 5/8 heater hose and put a slice in it you can stick the tip of your blow nozzle from your air hose in it. if you blow air one way it will suck on the other end of the hose. you can use this suction to suck out the last little bit you can't dump out of the tank. other reason i use 5/8 hose is if there is any floaties in the tank it's gotta be a pretty big floatie to not get sucked into that hose.

stand your tank on a corner so it all goes to one spot and suck the rest out.

unless you leave fuel in there condensation isn't a problem. or if you use the tank regulary you won't need a filter.

if this is a every once in a while tank, just get a simple spin on water separator. it's going to be filtered going into the tank so why do you need to filter it again? unless you leave the cap off, or some other way introduce dirt into your tank what is there to filter?

ours sit outside 365 days a year, and we don't get water in ours. keep the lid on, and make sure there is pipe dope where the pump goes into the tank and you should be golden. depending on your conditions, most of your dirt and water will come from the nozzle itself. turn the pump on, squirt a quick shot of fuel at the ground to clean the nozzle, stick it in your piece of equip and fill away.

Last edited:

ohiostroker95

Reaction score
Alright thanks for your help. Never had a transfer tank and kust wanted to make sure i didnt put something in it to clean it that would cause a problem. Thanks!

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
if you wouldn't burn it in your truck, don't put it in the tank.

it really is that simple.

Latest posts

Members online