Differential woes

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Tore apart the rear end of the drag truck last night to replace the tone ring and found some missing teeth in the ring gear. Cracked on the outer edge in three spots. Wiped out the tone ring and speed sensor. The pinion and spider gears all look good. The differential clutch packs on the passenger side have broken retainer clips and look like they need to be rebuilt. Seems like I remember somebody modifying the stock LSD and added more clutch packs. Im gonna see what i can come up with from Ford.

Looks like I'll be able to get everything cheaper then I had originally expected. Always softens the blow LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
Are you going to try and fix this yourself? I am not quite brave enough to trust setting up a rear end.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Are you going to try and fix this yourself? I am not quite brave enough to trust setting up a rear end.

Im gonna do the prep work, mod the differential clutch packs, and that sort of stuff. Installation though, I will call on the help of an old friend who has more experience then myself in this LOL Im too anal to work on my own stuff.

bbbxcursion

Reaction score

Diffs aren't too bad. It's one of the more satisfying jobs to me when it's finished. When they don't make noise and last forever, it feels pretty damn good. Just get things lined up where they need to be and you'll be fine.

JDub

Reaction score
I believe Zanes milk truck has always been running the stock rear differential with just more clutches added. Have to ask him on the details though...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I believe Zanes milk truck has always been running the stock rear differential with just more clutches added. Have to ask him on the details though...

Talked to him little bit ago. Just gonna package up the diff and send it off to y'all.

Arisley

Reaction score
When I blew my spiders up, I got a kit from a shop here in town. Came with new clutches and steels. Way upgraded from stock. I also stacked them a lot different than Ford did. I stacked steel and clutch alternating, Ford stacked steel, steel clutch, steel steel clutch (or something like that). Fords way made for a lot more slip than alternating. The kit I got was from Dana and the parts seem to be a lot beefier than the originals.

Latest posts

Members online