DIY Retrofit Headlights

jwanck11

Reaction score
Interested to see your write up. Curious to see what projector and bulbs you have.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
aae20a0b44b3bb1bc5eeaa87bcbeb007.jpg
Luv the pic. May I have/use it?

smcox1

Reaction score
Headlights look great! A painted grill surround would also look nice.

higherlife

Reaction score
So.... I didn't get a chance to do a full write up as i would have liked. Here is one:
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50654&showall=1

However, I still want to comment on a few hurdles that were very time consuming. To start off here is a parts list:

Bi-Xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 Stage III 2
Bi-Xenon Projectors
2 x Morimoto Mini H1 LHD (7.0) $120.00
Shroud Preference
2 x Apollo 2.0 Flat $25.00
HID Ballasts
2 x 50W: Morimoto XB55 Computer $70.00
Ballast Igniters
2 x Morimoto XB Igniter (AMP) $30.00
H1 HID Bulbs
2 x H1: XB 5500K $25.00
Wire Harness
1 x MotoControl Bi-Xenon: H13/9008 $25.00
Optional Housing Sealant
1 x Black: RetroRubber $12.00
Optional LED Halos
2 x 110mm Switchback: Morimoto XSB 2.0 $75.00
Shroud Centric Rings 2
Rings
2 x Mini H1 Centric Rings $10.00
Halos: Morimoto XSB 2.0 (Switchback) 1
XSB Ring Size
2 x 80mm Switchback: Morimoto XSB 2.0 $60.00

This was everything I think, i Just copied and pasted from emails.
Firts, Morimoto is a company that has everything you need to do a complete build. However, i was not impressed with the quality of their products. Everything was made in China and i did have some defective parts. The Retrofit Source was great to deal with but the conversation i had with Morimoto themselves was pretty ugly. Thats neither here nor there because TRS got everything sorted out and everything working. Overall I Might
use morimoto products again but am looking for alternatives.

The shrouds all have to be cut and sanded to fit inside the headlight. This was expected so I would recommend a good dremel, plastic cutting bits and lots of patience. I was able to get one side perfect and then replicate for the other.

The biggest hurdle i ran into was making the back side of the headlight air tight again since the bulb connectors stick out and there are a handful of wires coming out of the headlight. I'm still looking for a solution to this as i have neatly taped everything up but I don't like it. I am stumped on this one.

Again, I thought i would have more time to do a nice neat writeup but things got busy again. I will be tackling the taillights next and also installing a ipad in the dash next week so I might do a write-up for those but no promises. ;)

jbolen323

Reaction score
thats one of the benefits i tell people if wanting to do DIY, is to order through someone that has accounts or is a legit builder. You WILL get defective parts/ backorders / issues etc and its 10x easier for a account to deal with them rather then regular joe & also save a few bucks. im still waiting over 40 days for a replacement on switchbacks turn singles halos (shorted out and died or something )

tail lights, all i can say is practice on a old set and go very, very,very slow.

Coueshunter

Reaction score
Great write up. I want to do a headlight retro. Can't decide if I want to pay someone or do it myself with some paint work

Latest posts

Members online