DIY studs

6speedsd

Reaction score
Maybe this has been asked before and gone over, but I'm asking again anyways. Is it possible, or even practical, to pull the heads and do studs WITHOUT a lift to remove the cab? I am pretty mechanically savy, rebuilt several engines (even though no diesels), have already done my own EGR delete and oil cooler swap (yea I know, not that difficult), and I have plenty of tools and time, but I just don't have access to a lift to remove the cab. Can it be done cab on? I know it makes it alot more difficult with the cab on. I'm tired of puking, and I know it's got to be done. I'm starting a new job in a month or so after being unemployed for the past year and a half. Job market here is terrible. I'd like to do this if possible before I start work so I don't run the risk of having my truck go down after I start. And I don't have the cash to pay someone to do it, and there are NO diesel shops in my area other than the dealership, and well I'm not going there. There is one shop that works on them, but I don't trust the guy. He's blown alot of smoke up my dad's arse about his truck, and I know they guy isn't a certified mechanic. The way I see it, it would be a great learning experience to do it myself.

So what do ya'll think? Sounds reasonable in my head, but I'm no expert. Anything to consider before I actually talk myself into doing it?

Petro

Reaction score
Im goin through this same thing, but with a 6.4. Im thinking im pretty much SOL but the 6.0 might be a different story. Good luck

cfdeng7

Reaction score
It can be done cab on its not easy but it can be done. There are other ways to pull a cab though. I've pulled them using 2 skid steers before. We also pulled one using a hoist designed to pull/put sanders in dump trucks.

Petro

Reaction score
Roughly how many hours does it take to pull a cab, im very intrested in doing this. Dont really want to hijack this thread so i appologize to the OP.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
First time I pulled a cab was with a lift and took me and a buddy 2 and a half hours. But we were taking our time because we had never done it before. Petro pm whitemonster he has done all sorts of stuff on his 6.4 cab on.

907DAVE

Reaction score
You can do it, but you need to place the rear studs into the head and rubber band them together before dropping the head in place.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I know it would be better to let someone else do it that's done that type of work before. We just don't have the extra cash right now to pay for the work. And I'm worried I'm driving a ticking time bomb right now. It's not puking bad. Just when I get on it in either 4th or OD. It looks like it pukes really bad (frame and inner fender are pretty wet), but it has puked 3 times in the past 2 weeks, and my fluid level is still almost full. I replaced the degas cap last year. I thought this issue was just because I had a clogged cooler, but after deleting EGR and a new cooler, it still does it. BUT, it only pukes on my street tune. Drop it down to tow, and no matter how hard I get on it it never spews.... even with my 16ft trailer behind it with the AC on max.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Considering your budget I would either find a way to do the studs yourself. Either cab on or get creative and find a way to pull the cab. You have to be prepared for the fact that one or both of the heads could be cracked/warped beyond repair. If you can't afford to replace the heads right now I would tune it back to stock and baby it untill you can afford to fix it.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Another idea is pulling the motor out... Granted it's not easy but it could be a route to go if you can't pull the cab...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks!

Is there a way to look up diesel techs in a particular area? In in the North Mississippi area, right outside Memphis, Tn. There are a couple big dealerships around here, but I know nothing about their diesel techs, and I'm pretty sure there are no shops local.

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
Another idea is pulling the motor out... Granted it's not easy but it could be a route to go if you can't pull the cab...

This right here ^!

OP- If you pulled the motor, you will be happy you did. Sitting down next to it on the ground working as opposed to being under the hood in awkward positions will be much better. Your back will thank you when the job is done. With the motor out, you can get a better look at everything, like what needs to be resealed.

7.3 rocket

Reaction score
I have personally been involved in doing head gaskets on an 03 with the cab on, engine in, and heater box in place. We finished them up early last month and they're holding just fine.

Things you'll need:

Electrical tape or rubber bands to hold the studs up while installing the heads.

A floor jack and a few pieces of wood for jacking the engine up on one side to gain that little bit of extra clearance

A few motivated friends to help lift the heads in and help get torque on there since it can get a little tough to get a good angle on some of the studs.

A nice work platform

Covers to keep the fenders from getting scratched to hell

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yea, that's just the thing. Most of the teardown I'll be working by myself. Thought about a cherry picker for removing the heads once I had them all ready to come out. I don't know... the more I think about this, the more I lean towards not doing it myself. It's hard enough to work on anything as it is with the truck being slightly lifted. The thought of pulling the entire engine makes my head spin. I wouldn't even know where to begin with that. I'm still up in the air with the whole situation. Part of me says to just drop the tune down and baby it for as long as I can, but that worries me that I'll end up causing more damage. Ugh.....

smokedout250

Reaction score
Well tune it down and run it need to find a lift to pull the cab I'm in your shoes at the moment... I wanna stud my 6.0 but dont wanna drop the dime to have some one do it when I know I could if I had a lift! Now if I had a shop that didn't charge an arm and a leg I would just have them do it. Ask strokeorcroak he has pulled the motor and done everything he may have some hints

smokedout250

Reaction score
This is when you become a DIY mechanic. As I am a mechanic for a living I still need some tools to do it just do alot o research... After all that then make the choice to either do it Or have some body else do it

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.