DIY studs

6speedsd

Reaction score
I like to think that I can pretty much do anything, drive anything, and fix anything if I put my mind into it. Has worked for me in the past. Alot of things I can do now I self taught myself. When I did my EGR delete/new oil cooler I was nervous as hell. But, after asking lots of questions on here, and watching some pretty good youtube videos on it, I jumped right in there and went for it. As my grandfather used to say, it's a learning experience. I really want to jump in there and install those studs, but part of me worries about getting in over my head real fast, and not having anyone in person to turn to if things go bad!

smokedout250

Reaction score
Then pull the motor and get it done lol!!! It's mainly just time consuming to pull the motor becuase you have to pull the hole front clip apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

907DAVE

Reaction score
Its not complicated at all. There's a few little tricks to it to speed things up, but if you take your time there is no reason you should not go for it!

7.3 rocket

Reaction score
I've also got a 6L sitting in front of the truck by about 5 feet that I've had out for a long time because the project ran short on funds (father's company's truck) and I'd say that doing it in the truck really is the easiest way if you can get a few extra hands just at the critical points when you have to lift heads in and out.

Pizza goes a long way towards getting extra hands in the shop around here though.

The level of difficulty in pulling the engine is proportional to your experience with the front end on a Super Duty.

If you pull the engine make sure to have a ratchet strap or 2 handy to pull the front of the engine down to get the oil pan to clear the crossmember unless you pull the pan and oil pickup tube while it's in the truck.

Above all else if you're worried about remembering how it goes back together... LABEL IT. Each electrical connection gets labeled and the bolts go in labeled solo cups.

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
I think I've about decided to drop the tune, as much as I HATE driving this truck on stock tune, and hoping she will hold up until I have the funds to get it fixed by someone more qualified than I am! Either that or find a certified mechanic to pay and come help me. I heard through the grape vine that the son of one of my aunt's friends is a certified Ford diesel mechanic. Not sure how much truth there is to that. Maybe I can persuade him to lend a hand at some point.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.