DJM 3/5 lowered ride/mileage

willholl79

Reaction score
I am planning to retire my 05 F350 w/200k miles from DDing in the next year. I am thinking about getting a 6.0 2wd CCSB and lowering it a bit.

How does the DJM kit ride, and what kind of mileage can be expected from a
2wd 6.0?

rat49f6

Reaction score
My e99 with djm 3/5 ride better than stock ...loved it

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

JMart

Reaction score
What shocks were you running? Mine rides the same up front but the back bottoms out and sucks.

willholl79

Reaction score
What shocks were you running? Mine rides the same up front but the back bottoms out and sucks.

haven't bought the 2wd truck yet, just trying to get a feel if the lowered thing is for me. I like the looks, but I'm getting a 2wd for a better ride and don't want to lower it if the ride is affected.

rat49f6

Reaction score
In reality it, should ride the same it doesn't change the springs... I felt it was better because of the center of gravity being lower and it handled better not really rode any diffrent

Power Hungry

Reaction score
I've been looking at the DJM kit as it was the best one I've seen so far for the 2WD rigs.

Jason, how involved was it to make your truck a short bed? I'm looking at chopping our truck and just curious as to what to expect. I don't think it would be difficult, but then it usually never seems to be and then you go "Oh CRAP!"

AllanB

Reaction score
In reality it, should ride the same it doesn't change the springs... I felt it was better because of the center of gravity being lower and it handled better not really rode any diffrent

Mine doesn't ride all that bad. I am going to buy a set of King shocks and see if I can smooth it out some more. But as far as the springs being the same? I am not sure how you figure that. The springs went from sitting on top of the axle to under the axle. Naturally the springs are not the normal flex that they had. Not saying it is a bad thing. But the Guy is asking for facts. I think saying it didn't change the springs would be a little misleading. But the ride isn't that bad at all.

2wd-fire

Reaction score
What size tire are you guys running with the 3 /5 cause mines lowered 3 in the back and with about 6-700 pounds In the back (wvo) I have probly 4 inches tell bump stop so my question is what the biggest tire you could run

JMart

Reaction score
Mine doesn't ride all that bad. I am going to buy a set of King shocks and see if I can smooth it out some more. But as far as the springs being the same? I am not sure how you figure that. The springs went from sitting on top of the axle to under the axle. Naturally the springs are not the normal flex that they had. Not saying it is a bad thing. But the Guy is asking for facts. I think saying it didn't change the springs would be a little misleading. But the ride isn't that bad at all.

My axle still sits under my springs. My DJM 3/5 kit was a shackle hanger kit not an axle flip kit. So nothing about my springs changed.

I've been looking at the DJM kit as it was the best one I've seen so far for the 2WD rigs.

Jason, how involved was it to make your truck a short bed? I'm looking at chopping our truck and just curious as to what to expect. I don't think it would be difficult, but then it usually never seems to be and then you go "Oh CRAP!"

You have to go DJM dream beams up front to lower it and not sacrifice ride or alignment. Its the only way to do it right in my opinion.

The chop was pretty easy. This was my first project and I pulled it off so it must have been relatively simple. Sourcing a decent bed was the hardest part for me. Its all pretty straight forward except making a front mount for the short bed tank. I think a fuel cell or an excursion tank in the rear in place of the spare would be easier. I would do that if I did it again.

willholl79

Reaction score
I've found an '03 lariat in black with only 70k miles, but I really want an 05-07.

Once I decide on a truck I'll probably level the rear to start with and see how it goes from there.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
One of the mods I've been wanting to do, just too bad I need to sell the rig, this was goign to be my final touch LOL

AllanB

Reaction score
My axle still sits under my springs. My DJM 3/5 kit was a shackle hanger kit not an axle flip kit. So nothing about my springs changed.

You have to go DJM dream beams up front to lower it and not sacrifice ride or alignment. Its the only way to do it right in my opinion.

The chop was pretty easy. This was my first project and I pulled it off so it must have been relatively simple. Sourcing a decent bed was the hardest part for me. Its all pretty straight forward except making a front mount for the short bed tank. I think a fuel cell or an excursion tank in the rear in place of the spare would be easier. I would do that if I did it again.

Gotcha, my bad. I didn't know they made a drop shackle in 5". Wonder what the pro's and the con's are of doing the flip kit vs the drop shackle are?

JMart

Reaction score
Gotcha, my bad. I didn't know they made a drop shackle in 5". Wonder what the pro's and the con's are of doing the flip kit vs the drop shackle are?

Its shackles and hangers. I know one of the cons is its a pita to get the rivets out of the old hangers. It was a good thing but bed was off when I tried.

AllanB

Reaction score
I used my die grinder with a small metal munching bit and ground them off. My worse part was trying to get the pinion angle right.

JMart

Reaction score
I used my die grinder with a small metal munching bit and ground them off. My worse part was trying to get the pinion angle right.

I had and angle grinder, but same thing. My air chisel wouldn't punch them out though. I had to use a 5lb sledge.

I used a 6* shim for mine and have had no problems since. Before I couldn't get over 70mph.

Power Hungry

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I was thinking a fuel cell behind the axle and battery relocation to the rear as well to help with weight transfer. Sure would be nice to get those front wheels off the ground on a launch, even if it's just for a few inches. :D

Do you have a bigger picture of the truck? It sure is nice looking setup.

JMart

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was thinking a fuel cell behind the axle and battery relocation to the rear as well to help with weight transfer. Sure would be nice to get those front wheels off the ground on a launch, even if it's just for a few inches. :D

Do you have a bigger picture of the truck? It sure is nice looking setup.

It would take some big meat under the rear to get that king of traction but it would be nice. I don't have enough weight under the rear to keep it from hopping if its just a little slick out. Knocked my Ipod out of the stereo Sunday in the rain going up over an overpass.

More pics
http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/jmart178/Truck%20build/

Power Hungry

Reaction score
With the 33x10.5 slicks, I think if I could get a little better weight transfer by moving the axle forward 16", it wouldn't be too difficult. This was from the last set of runs we we did at the track...

(click on image to enlarge)

In any event, these trucks look badass as a single cab short bed. Awesome job on yours. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online