Do we like aluminum superdutys?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I thought ford already uses hemp products in its super duties. In the interior. I could be wrong tho.

No I believe hemp products were outlawed a long time ago, Henry Ford made a few cars way back in the 40's using hemp. But it was quickly shut down. He was doing it more so to help out the Farming industry than anything else, but he could do it cheaper with hemp than steel as well. It was a chemical company ( DuPont I think ? ) that killed it off though. Saw a whole show about it a while back.

Kind

Reaction score
Hemp products are perfectly legal in the U.S. It's growing it that's the issue. As well Henry Ford was trying to achieve a more sustainable product as well as assist the farming community. The hemp paneled car was just a small portion of what he had planned for crop based products. You are correct about DuPont.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
^^ Crazy, didn't know the story. Found a couple google links but nothing exciting, if i find a good episode/video I'll share the link

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Hemp products are perfectly legal in the U.S. It's growing it that's the issue. As well Henry Ford was trying to achieve a more sustainable product as well as assist the farming community. The hemp paneled car was just a small portion of what he had planned for crop based products. You are correct about DuPont.

10-4 its been a while since I watched it, I'm a little vague on the details.

ucpa111

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about the use of aluminum. I've seen multiple Ford Expeditions with issues on the hood and rear hatch. I believe those are both aluminum. Sure…it won't "rust" but it will oxidize and paint can still fall off. I am skeptical of the performance of aluminum from and aesthetics standpoint. No holes…good. Paint falling off….still bad.

gottagofast

Reaction score
I have some reservations.... My dually has 340,000 HARD miles and the steel body is in great condition...... I have to wonder how the aluminum would fair.... I suspect it would be prone to cracking.

superpsd

Reaction score
Well the grade Ford is using is a 6000 grade aluminum which has great corrosion resistance. I think it will be fine with advancements in paint technology. We don't use salt out west so they should live long life's here. Even back in the 40-60s they had built several semi tractors almost completely out of aluminum or aluminum frames. Including Autocar, Freightliner, Mack...

700 lbs or so dropped from a superduty is a nice chunck of mass that will no longer be holding the truck back from higher fuel economy and acceleration.

Last edited:

gottagofast

Reaction score
Yeah I've driven a Mack R model with cracking issues in the body... I had to remove the visor and seal up cracks in the roof with silicone and cut up soda cans to stop it from raining in the cab. Had under 300,000 on it IIRC....

Aluminum doesn't handle fatigue well.

gottagofast

Reaction score
had cracked floors and doors too ... Guess time will tell..... I imagine most people currently shopping for one of these aluminum pickups couldn't care less how it handles 300,000 miles but in 10 years that will change... I expect my 99 to make 500,000

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Audi and many others have been doing this for years. The only real issue I have run into is steel fasteners and aluminum damn near welding themselves together on Audi's Ive wrenched on. Its a pain in the ass. But the whole uni body is aluminum on A8's among others for more than a decade. And Ive seen some of those cars with 3-400 k on the clocks. I would like a body to put on a drag truck.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Im not sure what the problem is.... PACCAR aka Peterbilt and Kenworth have been using aluminum hoods cabs sleeps for years and and and years and and and years.

Serial Fordicator

Reaction score
Lighter truck to pull a heavy fifthwheel legally. Yep. I just bought a '15, I was going to wait, but I didn't want to keep my '11 over 100k miles. I have read GM and Ford are going in on a joint venture and supposedly working on a 10 speed tranny. I don't want the first few years of that.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Who's going to be the first person to strip all the paint off and polish the alum. :)

IN 10yrs we will have full blow mold doors and other body panels. The EPA is never happy and will keep squeezing till we are all driving civics.

Latest posts

Members online