Does a 3 link soften the ride?

KTM300

Reaction score
I am wondering if a 3 link softens the ride. I installed a 4.5" PMF kit with their 3 link. I used Fox 2.0 IFP shocks and the ride is almost too soft for my taste.

Rubenk

Reaction score
I am wondering if a 3 link softens the ride. I installed a 4.5" PMF kit with their 3 link. I used Fox 2.0 IFP shocks and the ride is almost too soft for my taste.

It looks like you answered your own question...

Jomax

Reaction score

What coil springs do you have? I don't believe PMF makes their own coil springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I have 5 super duties with Adjustable Radius Arms that drive amazing. Properly designed components will perform flawlessly.

But your shock/spring choice is likely to blame

KTM300

Reaction score
It looks like you answered your own question...
No, I did not, because I installed the 3 link, springs, and shocks all at the same time. It could be any one of the three. They are Icon springs and from what I have read they are, if anything, a little stiffer than the Carli coils that everyone loves. What I have read about the Fox 2.0 IFP shocks is that they are some of the best riding shocks without going with Kings. The rebound damping is what seems too light to me. I am wondering if that is because the 3 link is freer moving than the factory radius arms that the shocks were designed for.

vr6dub

Reaction score
I'm sitting on a 5.5 lift, brand unknown, stock radius arms with the drop bracket, and the no name shocks that made the ride way stiff. I installed the Fox 2.0 shocks on it and it's a good bit softer then I was expecting, not too bad but sort of feels like it's floating at times instead of being planted. Positive is it's not bone jarring like it used to be.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I have their 3 link with Icon coils and Fox 2.5's...it's perfect to me but you may hate it. It's soft enough to ride very well at speed but I have bigger sway bars to make up any slop in the corners.

Layson

Reaction score
I have not ridden in an Icon truck that I didn't like.....LOL

Doesn't mean that your setup may be either messed up or valved wrong.... or maybe you are just really sensitive.... LOL Normally people don't complain about the ride being too soft.

I hate to even recommend this but maybe an adjustable shock where you can manually crank up the rebound or compression to stiffen up your setup. But that costs $$$$ for that and you may still not be happy.

Does it sway when you go around corners....???

Really any cheap springs/shocks are going to be stiffer then what you have.

Jomax

Reaction score

Doesn't mean that your setup may be either messed up or valved wrong.... or maybe you are just really sensitive.... LOL Normally people don't complain about the ride being too soft.

I hate to even recommend this but maybe an adjustable shock where you can manually crank up the rebound or compression to stiffen up your setup. But that costs $$$$ for that and you may still not be happy.

It's funny really, I don't think I've heard of someone saying the truck rides too soft. Lol

TripleE44

Reaction score
This is a really weird thread. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

That being said, in my experience and from some other people on here, icon shocks tend to ride a little more on the stiff side. But not necessarily in a bad way. My experience was they were kinda stiffer on the street but offroad or really bumpy was where they got really good.

jwalk09

Reaction score
I have 2.5" Carli springs , bilsteins and just put on the pmf 3 link last week. It didn't soften up the ride. Drives a lot better bc of the added caster but not softer.

KTM300

Reaction score
I have 2.5" Carli springs , bilsteins and just put on the pmf 3 link last week. It didn't soften up the ride. Drives a lot better bc of the added caster but not softer.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Nice to hear from someone that has a direct comparison, without other changes.

I would bet the icon coils.

I don't really think it is the coils, because the compression feels about right. It is just the rebound that feels too light or soft. The truck seems to rebound too fast and bounce a little after hitting a bump.

dsberman94

Reaction score

On an adjustable shock, if you're getting, for lack of no other term, kickback from bumps in the road in the rear end, do you want to firm up the shock it soften it. Currently on my drive to work there's a section of highway where the joints in the concrete are spaced at just the right distance apart that it's giving the rear end of the truck a nasty kickback. 3 hits in a row until it settles down for a second before doing it again. Dam ccsb truck, my fathers cclb was the perfect wheelbase and met the expansion joints perfect on both axles at once. I'm not talking about a $200 each shock setup. Thinking more like some cheap azz rancho 9000 adjustables for now. Hoping some traction bars will help out like everyone says they do in a couple months. Just not sure which way to adjust for that kickback.

scparrish

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply. Nice to hear from someone that has a direct comparison, without other changes.

I don't really think it is the coils, because the compression feels about right. It is just the rebound that feels too light or soft. The truck seems to rebound too fast and bounce a little after hitting a bump.

I say the icon coils because when I ran them with my fox shocks they felt just as you describe. I switched to carli springs and it was night and day difference in handling and the overly soft feeling.

Jomax

Reaction score
This is a really weird thread. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

That being said, in my experience and from some other people on here, icon shocks tend to ride a little more on the stiff side. But not necessarily in a bad way. My experience was they were kinda stiffer on the street but offroad or really bumpy was where they got really good.

He has fox shocks with Icon coils. But I agree, it's a different thread then usual.

KTM300

Reaction score
I say the icon coils because when I ran them with my fox shocks they felt just as you describe. I switched to carli springs and it was night and day difference in handling and the overly soft feeling.
Thanks for your reply. PMed you.

I almost sold my Icon coils and bought Carli before I installed them because everything I read said the Icon were stiffer and I wanted a nice soft ride. Now I am not happy with it because it is too soft. :fustrate: If the Icon coils are stiffer I wonder if that is causing them to overwhelm the valving in my shocks. I have to decide if I should try a different shock like a King or Fox 2.5, or try switching to Carli coils with my Fox 2.0s.

Latest posts

Members online