Does the Ford AIS flow enough?

RyanG85

Reaction score
I have an 01 F350 with the mods in my signature. Before the billet wheel and exhaust, the airflow meter on the air box would pull slightly from hard acceleration, boost would max out around 23-25. Since adding the wheel and exhaust, boost jumped to 30-33 and the airflow meter will almost bottom out. EGTs are fine, getting a little black smoke on the hotter PHP tunes but otherwise all else is good. I replaced the filter at the same time as the wheel and exhuast with a WIX. Could there be any difference between the WIX and Donaldson AIS filters? The AIS does has the fender sleeve and Zoodad mod.

Thanks, Ryan

dmd

Reaction score
S&B dry is a good setup, but with the 38R it is pretty loud. I used some foam padding
near the opening to the fender well to buffer some of the sound. Seems to work well and
cuts the noise about half.

In hot weather the idle is much more stable than with the open element 6637 filter. Probably the cooler air and the air temp sensor being in the air flow more.

Rob

Reaction score
Thanks for interpreting! Maybe I should have at least read his signature? LOL.

RyanG85

Reaction score
I have the fender sleeve as well as the zoodad mod. I'm pulling the meter 2/3 or more on WFO runs.

White Buffalo

Reaction score
I need to do a little digging, but I recall something from the old Dieselstop days 10 years ago that there was a difference in the sensitivity between the stock filterminder and the one that came with the AIS......

bigfords

Reaction score
My AIS minder was sucking in too when WOT, and I was also getting a lot more smoke at WOT (with 238/100s). I took a hole saw and opened up the fender well side of the box some, along with the front of the box behind the battery which seems to have cut down on the restriction a lot. The minder has not pulled in at all since I have done this. And it is WAY quieter than my old S&B intake.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
My AIS minder was sucking in too when WOT, and I was also getting a lot more smoke at WOT (with 238/100s). I took a hole saw and opened up the fender well side of the box some, along with the front of the box behind the battery which seems to have cut down on the restriction a lot. The minder has not pulled in at all since I have done this. And it is WAY quieter than my old S&B intake.

The filterminder issue on TDS was discussed many times. And I did what bigford did on my 08. I modded my factory box as the 08+ box is basically the AIS box for the 7.3 size and flow wise IIRC. But more importantly, I ran all of IDP tunes on my 08 w/ my modded factory box and never had a filterminder issue and changing from the donaldson filter to an AFE didn't net me any noticeable difference in power or mileage but it was simple to clean.

Rob

Reaction score
Who offers the cleanest (most professionally looking finished) fender sleeve? It isn't exactly a straight path from the fender well opening to the side of the AIS where the hole needs to be drilled (that doesn't compromise the molded mounting arms to the box).

Various vendors offer sleeve kits, and I'm looking for user reports on which foam sleeve fits and functions best.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.