Dome lights stay on

bng305

Reaction score
2003 F250 5.4L CCSB. When the driver's door is opened, the interior lights and cargo lights stay on for around 5 minutes if the truck is off, and a little less time if the truck is running after the driver's door is closed. When you close the door, the door ajar light on the dash never goes out. The truck doesn't have automatic lights, just the turn/pull dial. The only door that causes any lights to come on is the driver's door, none of the others do anything. Is there a way to replace the door-ajar switch or is it easier to live with the lights staying on for a couple of minutes?

Bushwakd

Reaction score
Try spraying some WD-40 in the latch mechanism and open and slam the door about 100 times. The switch is located in the door latch mechanism and will get dirt and grit jammed in it and make it stick. You may even need to replace the switch.

bng305

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I pushed and pulled on the light dial, the lights don't come on automatically, and that fixed it. My friend told me those dials can be pushed in and that makes the lights stay on for some reason. I didn't believe him until I went home and tried it and sure enough that fixed it. But I'll take your advice and do some preventative spraying haha. Thanks again.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Every Ford truck besides the one I have now has done this, the WD40 in the door latch has always fixed it...

Latest posts

Members online