Door key lock problem

Txwindmiller

Reaction score
Some little bastard tried to steal my truck, busted out the key tumbler on the drivers door.( the only door with a key entry) I went I Ford dealership yesterday and they old me I needed a whole new door handle, and painted for $600. I said what??? $600???
Said it was part of the door handle that was busted inside that needs replacing.
Anybody had this problem before? Suggestions?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
LOL...try finding a replacement in a yard. Remove the current handle and see what's really broken. I would get the non-keyed style and call it good.

trinde

Reaction score
Wow

I am in same situation. My nephew, 17, just threw key(wrong key) in and twisted right off. I am hoping locksmith can do something.

JMart

Reaction score
Some little bastard tried to steal my truck, busted out the key tumbler on the drivers door.( the only door with a key entry) I went I Ford dealership yesterday and they old me I needed a whole new door handle, and painted for $600. I said what??? $600???
Said it was part of the door handle that was busted inside that needs replacing.
Anybody had this problem before? Suggestions?

9 times out of 10, the handle that hold the lock in breaks the plastic tabs off. But there is that slim chance that the ring gave first and the lock slid out. It takes 5 minutes to pull it off and check for damage. Like others have said, get one without a key like the back door and use a fob or the keypad on the door.

I am in same situation. My nephew, 17, just threw key(wrong key) in and twisted right off. I am hoping locksmith can do something.

yours will be cheaper to fix but could cost as much as a new cylinder depending on if it damage the wafers inside.

JMart

Reaction score
I worry about the batteries going down and not being able to open the truck without breaking a window. $$$$

With two batteries, that is highly unlikely, and you can be in the truck in under 5 minutes with your own antenna without breaking a window. Either way its cheaper than replacing that lock over and over. As you have seen you have a better chance of getting broken in to than being locked out from dead batteries. But its your truck, and money.

wiseguy

Reaction score
you can buy handles for ''capa certified'' 30 bucks new buy ford lock cyl they are about 40 bucks comes with instruction sheet and wafers to code to your original key. Only issue is paint if it is a textured black handle your golden. If it is painted probably cost 100 bucks to get it painted to match. Superduty is super easy to change handle on <1hr. 600 bucks is just smoking crack.