Down on Power and Fuel Economy

alradco

Reaction score
Would a leaking HPOP cause reduced power when towing a heavy load as well as decrease fuel economy? On our last trip pulling our 5th wheel the truck just didn't seem to have the power it typically did. Also fuel economy was down about 3mpg.

I have a leaking hpop that I need to replace. All else on the truck is great. Thanks.

Peter

ghohouston

Reaction score
Have you verified fuel pressure? And exactly how is the hpop leaking? The resovoir to hpop gasket or is it an actual hpo leak? Mileage on injectors? Ever dropped the tank for hutch and harpoon mods?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
if you have a hpo leak thats bad enough to hinder power, it will be spraying all over ***! if its seeping/weeping then no it shouldnt hurt it... has it been consistently low on mpg and power or just on this trip? could be something simple as a slightly clogged fuel filter or pickup foot in the tank or even bad fuel... ive seen that plenty of times in my travels across the USA...

live life full throttle

alradco

Reaction score
Have you verified fuel pressure? And exactly how is the hpop leaking? The resovoir to hpop gasket or is it an actual hpo leak? Mileage on injectors? Ever dropped the tank for hutch and harpoon mods?

Have not checked fuel pressure. Mileage is 120k. I think the leak is from the gasket but not sure. Never dropped the tank.

if you have a hpo leak thats bad enough to hinder power, it will be spraying all over ***! if its seeping/weeping then no it shouldnt hurt it... has it been consistently low on mpg and power or just on this trip? could be something simple as a slightly clogged fuel filter or pickup foot in the tank or even bad fuel... ive seen that plenty of times in my travels across the USA...

live life full throttle

Maybe bad tank of fuel. It's not spraying out that bad but enough to make a mess under the truck and drip when parked. It was just in this trip. Fuel filter is brand new but not motorcraft like I usually run. Filter is K&N that I cleaned just before the trip. Those are the only two changes to the truck other than the leak. Maybe it's the off brand fuel filter? Truck runs well otherwise, just felt down on power with the big load. Thanks.

02BigD

Reaction score
It's throwing darts in the dark, without knowing what the engine is doing by getting it on a scanner, or AE.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Like lincolnlocker said, unless its spraying everywhere, its not gonna affect mileage/performance. If you had a high pressure oil leak, youd know it. Its probably just the gasket or one of the plugs has backd out a little...

MossBack

Reaction score
What's wrong with the K&N? What's better?

Napa 6637 big air filter... Pull the stock box out and toss a 4" exhaust into the black hose and on the filter and for $50 or so you have great air filter...aka the Tymar filter I even think a few sponsors have made up kits so it looks nice.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
It's throwing darts in the dark, without knowing what the engine is doing by getting it on a scanner, or AE.

:whs:

3mpg is a huge drop(think percentage). You have an issue somewhere, and getting a scan tool hooked up is a very nice way to diagnose. Saves you money compared to throwing parts at it.

Latest posts