dp tuner question

yzmatt

Reaction score
I sent my pcm to dp and had them burn it with a 60 econo to match my stage 1 injectors. Got everything going and it seemed to smoke a little much on start up. Called their tech and he said to get 200 miles on the injectors and see if that would cure it. Did 200 plus miles and still ALOT of smoke on start up. The reason they gave me was the timing on cold start up is'nt quite right and needed to send it back in to have it adjusted.

Not questioning the reason because all the little other stuff matched the same solution. My only issue is the shipping both ways.

Do you guys think I should have to pay shipping for the pcm to get fixed. Their reason is my truck is one in a thousand that does this and so to that its not their fault. Which in turn relieves them of responsibility for the tunes not being quite right. I asked the tech if they could help me out on just the shipping on their side and his reply was I will check and let you know tonight. A week has gone by and no answer so my guess is no.

Is this right or should I be pissed?:shrug:

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Thats the thing about custom tunes, every truck is not the same even if you did the same injectors, same turbo and everything else was the same down to gearing in the axles.

Guess it falls into the gotta pay to play, youd be surprised how many times people will get their chip then send it back to have it adjusted some with how it shifts in one tune, how it idles in another and so on.....

SeeYa

Reaction score
I sent my pcm to dp and had them burn it with a 60 econo to match my stage 1 injectors. Got everything going and it seemed to smoke a little much on start up. Called their tech and he said to get 200 miles on the injectors and see if that would cure it. Did 200 plus miles and still ALOT of smoke on start up. The reason they gave me was the timing on cold start up is'nt quite right and needed to send it back in to have it adjusted.

Not questioning the reason because all the little other stuff matched the same solution. My only issue is the shipping both ways.

Do you guys think I should have to pay shipping for the pcm to get fixed. Their reason is my truck is one in a thousand that does this and so to that its not their fault. Which in turn relieves them of responsibility for the tunes not being quite right. I asked the tech if they could help me out on just the shipping on their side and his reply was I will check and let you know tonight. A week has gone by and no answer so my guess is no.

Is this right or should I be pissed?:shrug:

The first thing to do is fill out a help desk ticket. This helps us keep up with support.

If I may make a suggestion, You really need a chip. The 60 econo tune would be added at no charge to the chip. You really need modified stock to start up in if you are getting too much smoke. Doing just a PCM flash is not something Jody recommends when doing bigger injectors.

If you have more questions let us know.

Diane

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
Definitely shouldn't be pissed. Jody and his team are great at what they do and have excellent customer service from my experience. Like said above, all trucks are different and you can't just have a default custom tune and expect it to work the same on every truck. I have the DPTuner F5 on my truck....and it is absolutely, without a doubt, the best money I have ever spent on my truck. I need to send mine in since I didn't specify my tire size when I ordered mine, so it was sent with stock tire size tuning. With my 35's, it changes the shift points....oh well, its my own fault I wasn't paying attention. But basically my point is, all trucks are not created equal, and some will need a little extra tweaking to make them perfect, especially since you have added aftermarket injectors. I will also agree with Diane....get a chip, for 1, more tunes!! And two, it's much easier to pull out the chip (10 min, if you are going slow) and send it in for tuning than to send in the whole PCM.

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
Oh and I should add that it is nice to be able to just pay for the shipping....and not the shipping and tweaking of the tunes....some shops are greedy like that! My buddy has sent his in a few times for little tweaks, if he sends it out on Monday, he'll have it back by Friday or Monday.....thats a damn good turnaround time!

SeeYa

Reaction score
Definitely shouldn't be pissed. Jody and his team are great at what they do and have excellent customer service from my experience. Like said above, all trucks are different and you can't just have a default custom tune and expect it to work the same on every truck. I have the DPTuner F5 on my truck....and it is absolutely, without a doubt, the best money I have ever spent on my truck. I need to send mine in since I didn't specify my tire size when I ordered mine, so it was sent with stock tire size tuning. With my 35's, it changes the shift points....oh well, its my own fault I wasn't paying attention. But basically my point is, all trucks are not created equal, and some will need a little extra tweaking to make them perfect, especially since you have added aftermarket injectors. I will also agree with Diane....get a chip, for 1, more tunes!! And two, it's much easier to pull out the chip (10 min, if you are going slow) and send it in for tuning than to send in the whole PCM.

I will save you the time sending back the chip for tuning the 35's. All you need is the speedo recalibrated and the shift points will be in sync with the tuning.

Diane

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
I will save you the time sending back the chip for tuning the 35's. All you need is the speedo recalibrated and the shift points will be in sync with the tuning.

Diane

Yeah, Jacob told me that too, just need to buy or find somebody in my area with an AE to do that! Thank you!

yzmatt

Reaction score
The first thing to do is fill out a help desk ticket. This helps us keep up with support.

If I may make a suggestion, You really need a chip. The 60 econo tune would be added at no charge to the chip. You really need modified stock to start up in if you are getting too much smoke. Doing just a PCM flash is not something Jody recommends when doing bigger injectors.

If you have more questions let us know.

Diane

I talked to one of your techs and he has the fix already sitting there. Something about cold wather timing. I don't want to mention the name because my question is not at anyway meant to BASH you guys. DP-Tune that is and I do appreciate what you do.

I wanted a pcm burn because I wanted to have a running truck when a chip wasn't in it. And I can't control myself so until I recover from the cost of repairs I've done so far don't want to screw around and need more. So in the future I will be getting a chip just not now.

Ok I will suck it up and stop my belly aching.

yzmatt

Reaction score
I would like to recap a little.

I am happy with the tune.
I am not bashing DP tuner
I think great things of you guys and your response time is incredible.

Thanks again I finally love my truck again. And will be sending it in soon as I can have my truck down for the time it takes to get the fix. I guess this would be a reason for a f6 chip HUH

Desertdweller

Reaction score
Oh and I should add that it is nice to be able to just pay for the shipping....and not the shipping and tweaking of the tunes....some shops are greedy like that! My buddy has sent his in a few times for little tweaks, if he sends it out on Monday, he'll have it back by Friday or Monday.....thats a damn good turnaround time!

After thirty days DP does charge for "little tweaks" .

MossBack

Reaction score
I just barely got done making three tweaks to my tunes in my driveway some tuners send the burner with the chips for instant email updates and tweaking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
Www.power-struck.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.