DP Tuner vs. TS... well, sort of

Sterling B.

Reaction score
I currently have the F5 DP-Tuner with stock, 40 & 60 tow and 80 econ tunes. Truck is pretty stock except for what's listed in my sig, but I plan to upgrade injectors and give it some overall TLC as I'm able. Ultimately, I would like some custom tunes from Matt at G.A.P., who I believe can write to a TS chip. (I'm very close to them so shipping, etc. isn't an issue) I've found the TS chip on sale online for ~$170 for the holidays. I'm thinking I'll buy the TS with canned tunes just to play with for awhile and it would be available to have custom tunes written to at a later date.

Does this make any sense to anyone else or am I just nuts?:shrug:

... why is ******** such a bad word? I must have missed something.:wtf:

scagle1

Reaction score
I prefer the regular old TS chip and tried both the TS 6 position with a bunch of different vendors and Hydra loaded with 4 different companies tunes. Never liked how the Hydra stumbled between some vendors tunes depending on how they formatted the tuning. To each their own but out of 5 chips it was my least favorite. I think your on the right track if your wanting to try some different stuff at a minimal cost and being that close to GH.

mandkole

Reaction score
Youre the first I've read who's not been happy with the hydra. Never heard of the stumbling between files.

scagle1

Reaction score
It was ok I'm not bashing it by any means.
I think it was the way the files were written and that's what the tuner told me as well when i asked why it threw multiple CEL for a few seconds as well as an idle stumble then would be fine with no lights , wont go into the who's and all but it stumbled for sure with multiple tuners stuff when going from one tuners to the next. I didnt have any PHP tunes on it but they were moree than happy to help when i had questions after first getting it. Ive come across a few threads on the multiple sites along the same lines but if recollection serves me right want to say it was all the way files were written as well , not a hydra problem , you'd think everyone wrote ( format)them the same way though.
I just preferred the old style switch , thought it looked cleaner as well. Only advantage i saw was emailing tunes if trying to iron out problems. I am on the hunt for another something to drive , and if it winds up being a 7.3 again will use a TS style on it also. Having two of them didn't cause the mail it and hurry up and wait hassle.

mandkole

Reaction score
It's all good-- I don't have a hydra, but have thought about getting one and I'd just never heard of the issue. Makes sense given the different formats.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
My 7.3 stumbled when switching between my PHP tunes and swamps tunes, with the hydra the stumble never did bother me. Most of the time it stayed in the swamps drag tune anyways.

If you are thinking of a Hydra do it, its awesome no waiting for the chip to get re burnt. Download the tune from your email, load it up to the chip with hydraflash and boom its ready to go.

The truck also had a F5 before and switching to the Hydra was the best thing I ever did to that truck.

scagle1

Reaction score
Mine were all written on same code. Only had one PCM / code the entire time I owned the truck and didn't use any stock files as it was running 160's.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
I went ahead and bought the TS with canned tunes last night... for $155, it's worth it to have a little fun and be able to do some comparisons. :joy:

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
Going from one tuner company to another tuner company will cause the truck to stumble and sometimes cut off. With my hydra I have gh and swamps tunes but I have 15 tunes on my hydra so I like it way better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morefuel

Reaction score
If i remember correctly they do say that it will stumble between pcm codes and i thought recomended against running two different codes.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
If i remember correctly they do say that it will stumble between pcm codes and i thought recomended against running two different codes.

Just to confirm, you're referring to the case of taking for example a used TS from one PCM code and putting it on a different truck with a different PCM code?

If that's correct, it won't be an issue... chip is brand new from XDP.

morefuel

Reaction score
Just to confirm, you're referring to the case of taking for example a used TS from one PCM code and putting it on a different truck with a different PCM code?

If that's correct, it won't be an issue... chip is brand new from XDP.

No that was the hydra. For instance if you have a jka3 pcm code dpc-311 model pcm they may recommend or run a template from the latest version. and switching between templates or pcm codes is where the hiccup is.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The Hydra is far and above the best hardware on the market. Of course your going to get a stumble switching between one hex code to another, Tuners use different PCM codes, different hex codes without telling the end user.

You dont even have this option with a TS chip...

thuglike

Reaction score
Most pcm base codes are the pmt family. I would say that a slight stumble shifting between tunes that are written by different tuners is normal and nothing to worry about. Although the base code may be the same the style of tunes each company write is different. Different ICP,Fuel,timing and so on......

cleatus12r

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if the "pmt family" is used because just using that logic WILL cause problems.

That thinking is exactly why using the PCM code for calibration writing/tuning/sales is stupid. The hex code is the only way to ensure that the chance of an engine stumble or stall is minimized.

Simply putting calibrations on a chip that start with "pmt family" will surely cause a stall or stumble because the binary addressing is far different between PMT1 and PMT2 but not between PMT2 and PMT3. Also, a blanket statement like "most pcm base codes are the pmt family" tells me that you have no idea what is going on here. The ONLY vehicles that work correctly with the calibrations in question are 99.5 to 01 49-state trucks with dpc-422 hardware. Sure, the calibrations will run other SuperDuty trucks but only with limited functionality and in some cases, incorrect fuel/baro/rpm calculations.

Last edited:

Sterling B.

Reaction score
UPS finally delivered it today after forgetting to drop it off Friday. :doh:

When I get a chance, I'll be taking the DP-Tuner out and putting in the TS. I'll be sure to report back!