driveline clunking

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Made a previous post before that basically died. Long story short the driveline clunks/ slack is driving me nuts. Replace u joints like everyone said, didnt help a bit. Its started to "pop" when coming up to a light while braking Like its binding up then releasing. i can feel the thump in the floor. Rear end may be going bad? Tcase? Tranny mount? If i hit the brakes hard then release right away i can feel the slack free spooling then catching back up. Heres a video with the parking brake on and rear tires jacked up with it in neutral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ANslA-Tqg

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
The that amount of mileage, that amount of play is normal imo... Have you looked at the slip joints on both front and rear axles to see if they aren't wore out? Have you checked your front hubs to make sure one isn't engaging on its own. A thump in the floor to me sounds like front sway bar links, nothing else could cause a 'thump' in the floor that i can think of...

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Sway bar links aren't on the truck at the moment, how much play is normal on the slip yoke I always keep it greased

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Exact same symptoms and everything you are experiencing. I have maintained my truck perfectly. Mine has 233k and the rear end is still within factory used specs. I am thinking it is more in the t-case. Chain is stretchered out causing more slop, I see this a lot on the np231/241/242.... series cases in the higher mileage jeeps, dodges, and gm based trucks.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
If I rock it back and forth in park it will pop where the yoke mounts to the tcase like the bearing is getting worn

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
If you grab the yoke on the t-case is there any movement or play in and out?

Blowby

Reaction score
Looks like the rubber in the center support hanger is toast.

tomcon95

Reaction score
Pull the driveshaft out and check the splines on the yoke and the output shaft. Not too uncommon for those to wear on any truck. If the splines check out good i would check the slop on the rear. In the video it looks like alot of play between the pinion and the ring? Was the pinion seal recently replaced?

The chain in the t-case has nothing to do with it. The chain will only affect the front driveshaft.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Nope been a couple years, splines look new. Re greased when I put the u joints in.

tomcon95

Reaction score
And the fact that their is a click when moving the carrier bearing isnt good either. They should be pretty stiff.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
I can barely move it, much stiffer than what was on there. That click is whatever is wrong in the drive line. I know when they did the pinion seal they just popped the yoke off, that was 3-4 years ago I think

tomcon95

Reaction score
Behind the yoak on the rear their should be a crush washer. If the mechanic over tighened the nut he could have crushed it and is causing a larger than spec gap between the pinion and ring

Last edited:

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Looked like new when I changed the fluid but I didn't paint it

tomcon95

Reaction score
Like i said i would start with the splines and work your way back considering you said thats where you felt a bang

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
What would indicate worn spines? Rounded instead of square?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.