driveshaft play....

patoka7.3

Reaction score
i have a 2000 f250 4 door short bed with a 5 speed. ive had an issue with slop when hitting the throttle and letting off of the throttle. it makes a clunk noise and kinda shakes a bit. the carryier bearing is good and everything up at the trans is tight. i have a little pinion slop up and down but not a whole lot...... anyone have any idea's

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I have this also, but i think it has more to do with the rotating mass coming back and hitting itself when we let off the throttle and dont grab the clutch. It doesnt do it on auto because the clutch is "in" as soon as you let off the throttle... Make sense? I does in my head, just might not translate very well. Lol

Binder man

Reaction score
Do you have any twist in the driveshaft by hand or when letting the clutch out from rolling backwards? Mine got to doing this when my center pin was getting loose

2000wa250

Reaction score
Had this same thing....3 days later every u joint in the drive line let loose. Just because you can't see it, or it doesn't move by hand, doesn't mean they aren't shot. Pull drive line, put in new u joints, replace. Not that expensive, and at the worst you have eliminated that as being a problem.

I'd be willing to bet that that's your issue.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

patoka7.3

Reaction score
in nut i have about id say an inch or so of spin before my drive shaft catches a gear in the rear end. i just had the entire drive shaft out when i replaced my clutch, the u joints seemed like they were okay. its making the truck real hard to drive with my programmer up, im assuming the more power the less it has to try to spin the drive shaft. its starting to get really annoying. the carrier bearing is still pretty new, i dont know what else could possibly be doing it. how much slop should there be in my rear end before it hits a gear? could the slop be coming from there? ive also noticed that when i hit bumps my whole drive line seems to shake and bounce around. seems like something is loose but nothing is. everything is all nice and tight in the trans and tranfer case.

BLK01

Reaction score
i had this same problem a while back, it turned out all but one of the bolts connecting my transfer case to the transmission were gone/broken. i would be willing to bet its the same thing with yours.

22crew

Reaction score
My ext cab short bed gets a clunk every once in a while. All i have to do is take out the drive shaft, throw some grease on the spline and it's good for another 6ish months. Not sure what type of drive shaft you have but it may be worth looking into.

22crew

Latest posts

Members online