Driveshaft Questions and Part #'s

bri_grogs

Reaction score
I started to round the bolts that hold the driveshaft into the t-case when I removed them. I know these bolts have the funky 12 point head, but the threads look like regular coarse thread; is there a special part # or can I use a grade 8 bolt with identical thread?

The female end of the driveshaft clearly has a spline that is wider then the rest, but the male end of the shaft looks to be identical all the way around. Did I overlook the corresponding wider spline? If not how do I ensure I put the halves together correctly?

08Monster

Reaction score
Grade 8 with same thread size and pitch will be fine. 12 point just take more torque with a smaller head. Meaning you can have a smaller head on a bigger shank without worrying about rounding it to torque or remove it. I'd get the same ones if it were me though.

bri_grogs

Reaction score
Grade 8 with same thread size and pitch will be fine. 12 point just take more torque with a smaller head. Meaning you can have a smaller head on a bigger shank without worrying about rounding it to torque or remove it. I'd get the same ones if it were me though.

Id love to get the same ones but my google search didnt turn up a part number. Any idea if I can get these at the counter from ford?

JD3020

Reaction score
Just take one out and go to any local hardware/fastener store, they will be able to help you out. I'm sure Ford could order the bolts, but they'll probably $10+ a piece.

08Monster

Reaction score
Ford will have them. If not, get a comparable, 12 point, grade 8 or higher washer head bolt.

Latest posts

Members online