drivetrain grinding noise

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
My hub bearings made a constant noise but only with load on the tires. Maybe try having someone drive it back and forth in a parking lot and see if you can safely listen for the sound put of the vehicle?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

MNStroker316

Reaction score
I would try a carrier bearing before I took the diff apart- even though it's throwing parts at it, it's cheaper than opening up the diff.

I had the driveshaft assembly off the truck and the Carrier bearing was smooth as butter. And the sound still persisted without the rear driveshaft in the truck. (Quick drive in 4x4)
I just had a friend replace all the bearing the rear end (not the wheel bearings tho) and he said everything looked pretty good. Sound is still present.....

My hub bearings made a constant noise but only with load on the tires. Maybe try having someone drive it back and forth in a parking lot and see if you can safely listen for the sound put of the vehicle?

Hub bearings as in front wheel bearings (hub assembly)? If so, how did they feel when turned by had? Ive had the tires off and spun the front bearings and they seem smooth to me. Maybe I'll take the brakes off and try again. Just to make sure there is no brake grabbing.
That is also an option, maybe I'll try that this weekend. Damn 6.0 clatter makes it hard to listen haha.

joe d

Reaction score
Jack it up on stands all the way around take tires off put in gear see if you hear the noise if not lock in 4x4 and repeat might help you out. Alltho you may not hear it without weight on front end if it is in fact wheel bearings good luck.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Yes hub assembly.
They felt fine by hand but did have play and the tires wore uneven. I also had bad ball joints so that added to the play making it easier to notice.
Wondering if bad axle shaft bearings or seals might cause noise like your hearing? Maybe not seals but the bearing on each side of the diff the the axle shaft rides in?

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Yes hub assembly.
They felt fine by hand but did have play and the tires wore uneven. I also had bad ball joints so that added to the play making it easier to notice.
Wondering if bad axle shaft bearings or seals might cause noise like your hearing? Maybe not seals but the bearing on each side of the diff the the axle shaft rides in?

^ This. Definitely check the idler bearings on the inside of the hubs. My truck was doing this and I changed bearings and it quit for about 10k. Just recently started doing it again.

MNStroker316

Reaction score
Jack it up on stands all the way around take tires off put in gear see if you hear the noise if not lock in 4x4 and repeat might help you out. Alltho you may not hear it without weight on front end if it is in fact wheel bearings good luck.
Yeah, I've done this procedure a few times, cannot replicate the noise up in the air, with no load on the tires.

Yes hub assembly.

Interesting, well I did have the front passenger side apart last night and everything felt tight. But I suppose I could put the new wheel bearing in and see if it goes away, if not, try the other side.

As for the second part, are we talking the front or rear axle now? Cause for the rear axle I just had the bearings replaced in the differential, not sure if that included the bearings that the axles ride on? I know he didn't do the rear wheel bearings.

^ This. Definitely check the idler bearings on the inside of the hubs. My truck was doing this and I changed bearings and it quit for about 10k. Just recently started doing it again.

Front or rear axle are we talking?
If front, is that the smaller diameter bearing on the back of the front hub assembly? If so that bearing was smooth on at least the passenger side when I had it apart last night. Next is the driver side, just to confirm, since I already have a $200 hub assembly on my bench.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Front drivers side is the one I've had to replace twice now. I think that axle shaft being shorter puts it in more of a bind when you turn.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Front or rear axle are we talking?
If front, is that the smaller diameter bearing on the back of the front hub assembly? If so that bearing was smooth on at least the passenger side when I had it apart last night. Next is the driver side, just to confirm, since I already have a $200 hub assembly on my bench.[/QUOTE]

It could be any number of things as you can see by the number of suggestions. Everyone can suggest things until were blue in the face but obviously it won't do you any good until you narrow it down to at least what area the noise is coming from.
I had a co-worker stand next to the truck while I drive it back and forth to narrow down the location, then found out which components in that location may cause that noise and inspected/tested and replaced as needed.
Do you have any thoughts at all as to what general area the noise is at?

MNStroker316

Reaction score
Well for anyone who is following this at all, or find it for the future. The noise ended up being a front passenger wheel bearing.
This was undetectable during driving (loading and unloading left to right) or turning the bearing by hand.
I purchased a bearing, put it on the driver side, nothing changed, then swapped it to the passenger side and the sound was gone. Happy I found it, upset I have $800 into finding the issue. Oh well. All is good.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
At least it's fixed and you can be 100% the rest of your front end is good.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
If it were me I would (budget allowing) replace the other hub bearing as I would imagine it can't be far behind...

MNStroker316

Reaction score
At least it's fixed and you can be 100% the rest of your front end is good.

If it were me I would (budget allowing) replace the other hub bearing as I would imagine it can't be far behind...

Yes I'm happy I found it, and it's not a bad thing I got the bearings in the rear end replaced, those were definitely coming to their time (170k).
I was considering getting another bearing, maybe I'll get one in the near future to at least get it on the shelf of the garage

bluedge8

Reaction score
I have put bearings in just one side many times, usually there is so much time between failures that I can't remember how long. I wouldn't worry about the other side until it gives you a reason.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.