DRW to SRW Conversion

benzfanatical

Reaction score
Howdy guys! I'm in need of some wisdom.

I have a 2006 CCSB SRW F250 6.0L FX4 Lariat (Brown) that has a worn out engine. Over the last few years, I have done a lot of work to it... and I have some nice modifications. Even if I replace the engine, though, my vehicle is pretty high mileage and therefore isn't worth the 14 grand Ford wanted for a new 6.0L. So I've decided to part it out; And to build Frankenstein's monster.

The truck, to which I hope to be donating most of the parts, is a 2005 CCLB DRW F350 6.0L FX4 Lariat (White). My goal is to convert this truck to SRW and to use my custom suspension from the other vehicle. I already picked up an SRW fiberglass service bed for the project. I plan on moving axles, wheels, tires, brakes, lockers, suspension...

Is this possible? And, what do I need to know? I've included photos of the old and new trucks.

Thanks!

Chris

Attachments

• Old Truck 1.jpg
    Old Truck 1.jpg
    986.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Old Truck 2.jpg
    Old Truck 2.jpg
    935.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Old Truck 3.jpg
    Old Truck 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • Old Truck 4.jpg
    Old Truck 4.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 81
  • New Truck 1.jpg
    New Truck 1.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 104

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Swap the rear axles to covert the rear.

For the front I believe you can just remove the dually adapter and should be good to go.

Then suspension should all swap over.

benzfanatical

Reaction score
Unfortunately, due to the gear ratio difference, and to simplify the swapping of the brakes and hubs, I think I need to change the entire front axle too. I recently rebuilt front and rear on the F250 so seals and stuff should be good.

Will drive shaft mounting to alternate differentials be an issue?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
If so just swap the front drive shaft as well. Although I believe they are the same between 05-06.

Ya I understand the gear ratio thing. Front axle should bolt right in though so not much harder than removing spacers sinc you will be swapping whole suspension anyway.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Swap front and rear axles, bleed brakes, and be done. The mounting spots on the frame/springs are all the same.

Denver

Reaction score
Double check that bed for cab to axle length. With the fuel filler behind the rear wheel thats typical of a cab n chassis truck with a 60" cab to axle measurement. Pickup trucks with 8' beds like that f350 have a 56" cab to axle measurement.

benzfanatical

Reaction score
Double check that bed for cab to axle length. With the fuel filler behind the rear wheel thats typical of a cab n chassis truck with a 60" cab to axle measurement. Pickup trucks with 8' beds like that f350 have a 56" cab to axle measurement.

This is the vehicle it was removed from. How do I measure that exactly? To the center of the wheel cutout?

Good advice. Thank you!

e9731394b5638b6074e44f779e444742.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Denver

Reaction score
You measure cab to axle from the back of the cab to the center of the axle. Since that bed came from a supercab truck it will have a 158" or 162" wheelbase. Check the lower left corner of the door sticker for that number. If it's 158" then that means a 56" cab to axle. If it's 162" then its a 60" cab to axle and a cab and chassis truck. Remember I'm saying just double check. This one is weird after looking at the picture. Is the fuel tank in front of the axle and did/does it have a spare tire carrier like the pickup trucks?

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
I would've tried to find a low mileage motor and throw it in your old truck. I prefer CCSB though.

Good luck on your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benzfanatical

Reaction score
You measure cab to axle from the back of the cab to the center of the axle. Since that bed came from a supercab truck it will have a 158" or 162" wheelbase. Check the lower left corner of the door sticker for that number. If it's 158" then that means a 56" cab to axle. If it's 162" then its a 60" cab to axle and a cab and chassis truck. Remember I'm saying just double check. This one is weird after looking at the picture. Is the fuel tank in front of the axle and did/does it have a spare tire carrier like the pickup trucks?

72f535c91f125f2a394c92b91093a6b0.jpg

I believe it had a fuel tank between the frame rails in the rear. It was square and centered where a stock spare tire may be. He may have indicated it was a chassis cab.

Denver

Reaction score
Sorry I had to be that guy. I'm sure there are service bed companies you can trade the bed for an 8' unit. That bed does look to be in very good shape and should be an easy trade. If you can, get a picture of the door sticker of the truck the bed came off of.

Last edited:

benzfanatical

Reaction score
Sorry I had to be that guy. I'm sure there are service bed companies you can trade the bed for an 8' unit. That bed does look to be in very good shape and should be an easy trade. If you can, get a picture of the door sticker of the truck the bed came off of.

I got a REALLY good deal for it... off of an oil field truck with a blown motor too. I'm not too upset... I bet I'll turn a profit if I sell it, or I can trade it in.

Don't worry about bearing bad news... that's why I asked! You saved me a hell of a headache when it's wrench turning time! Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online