Dually Conversion

fordornothing

Reaction score
My pickup is a dually and I'm getting tired of having to buy 6 tires, so I'm wondering what would be involved in going to a single wheel. I'm pretty sure on the front it's just pull the spacer. Now on the rear end, would I have to get a new axle or could I use the hub off of a 10.5 axle? I know the 10.5 and DANA 80 use the same bearings with a different seal. Is the axle shaft any longer on the dually vs. the single?

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
I converted mine to single rear and am converting it back to a dually now. All I did was pull the dually adapters off the front axle and retained my rear axle. Threw a single rear bed on and that was it. The rear tires stick out about 2 inches more on each side than the front but I don't notice it anymore. If you are wanting the tires to be the same then you need to switch the axle out from a srw. The axle shafts are longer on the dually model.

mustube

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the stock dually spacer pushes the wheel out like 9 inches or something like that.

fordornothing

Reaction score
I didn't think so either. And you can, but it looks pretty ugly when there is no tire inside the fender. That spacer sticks out quite a bit. I have the spyntec conversion and the spacer is flush with the lockout hub. Now as far as swapping the rear axle, that should be just a direct bolt on right?

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
rear is direct bolt on. everything swaps out easily. If you want to sell your front spacers I will take them off your hands.

fordornothing

Reaction score
How big of a hurry are you to swap back to the dually? Mine are painted blue and the seam on the inside is trimmed to clear my hubs. PM me with a fair price.

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
I am not in a big rush now. I am putting my money together for 22.5" wheels and tires. I started towing heavy and rated my truck for 30,000lbs and need the weight rating on that setup. I would like to be done with the transition back to a dually by December at the latest. If I brake another wheel it will be sooner than that.

Big Calo

Reaction score
Might be about to have a rear axle availible if you are interested. From a 01 F250. I'm looking at a D80 right now to swap in. I just put brand new E-Brake kit on both sides.

DieselCowboy, did the axle you swapped in have drum or disk brakes? If drum brakes did you convert to disk?

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
I didn't swap any axles out. I left in my stock axle just incase I ever needed to go back to drw. The only thing I did was swap out beds and took off the adapters on the front.

Big Calo

Reaction score
I didn't swap any axles out. I left in my stock axle just incase I ever needed to go back to drw. The only thing I did was swap out beds and took off the adapters on the front.

So you had a DRW, then went to SRW, now back to DRW? I may have misread your posts.

But either way, anyone have any ideas on going from drum to disk brakes?

I am currently working a deal on a D80 out of a 99 Dodge, to go under my F250. It has drum brakes, but I can't seem to find any solid reviews on any kind of conversion to disk brakes. Seen a couple good reviews on using Hydroboost with the drum brakes, but just can't seem to find anything concrete.

Sorry for the hijack.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.