E4OD Intermittent Issue

Sterling B.

Reaction score
I'm working on a '96 F350 PSD with the E4OD for my brother. It will intermittently completely disengage going down the road; some days it will shift perfectly. I've cleaned the connections on the main harness and it hasn't helped. I've read somewhere that there is a relay that may be the culprit, but I can't find the name of it at the moment. I'll get back with yall on that when I find it. Could we be looking at an electrical issue within the trans case itself?
Believe it or not, it's actually this truck by Competition Specialties... however it doesn't look near as good anymore. LOL http://www.competition-specialties.com/jethro.htm Pictures on the link don't seem to work for me anymore, but that's where I got the before pic from after he bought it this past November.

D41FA19D-99E3-40BD-9BAC-5E43323376B9_zps5d88fbuj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
46B54D5D-8D77-4AB2-802A-D088F3326F1B_zpshj4ewivw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sterling B.

Reaction score
^

that second pic makes me cry :(

That's no lie! My brother paid $2K for it though, so it really would have been worth more parted out. It's been a mud truck for nearly 10 years and was last registered in Illinois that many years ago, but who's to argue much at that price? We're working on turning it into more of a budget crawler. I forget what size injectors are in it, but they're pretty big, esp for the stock turbo... they dump enough fuel at idle to make a grey haze and burn your eyes. Probably going to get it de-tuned eventually with geerhead.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Most likely it's a bad TRS (Transmission Range Sensor.) It's also called the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor) or NSS (Neutral Safety Switch.) When they start to go bad they send a bad signal to the PCM that you've moved the shift handle to N. The computer sees that and tells the trans to go to N. And it does.

Replace the sensor and you'll almost certainly be fine. It's located on the driver's side of the trans. It's the part with the wiring harness attached.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
Most likely it's a bad TRS (Transmission Range Sensor.) It's also called the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor) or NSS (Neutral Safety Switch.) When they start to go bad they send a bad signal to the PCM that you've moved the shift handle to N. The computer sees that and tells the trans to go to N. And it does.

Replace the sensor and you'll almost certainly be fine. It's located on the driver's side of the trans. It's the part with the wiring harness attached.

I'll have a Motorcraft replacement first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you!

Latest posts

Members online