EGR CEL Question

RazinCain

Reaction score
Ive been reading on the net about the EGR systems on these trucks. Finicky if Im reading correctly. I just aquired a new to me 2004 FX4 supercab 6.0. It does have 160K on the clock but it hasnt ever had a fifth wheel or gooseneck behind it and the trailer light plugs had dust behind the door so I dont think its towed much of anything. It is a two owner truck and the previous owner was an older fella. Had the Oasis pulled and it just shows being in the dealer a couple times for recalls but thats it. Nothing major.

The dealer was supposed to replace both batteries before delivery. They only replaced one. Day 2 of ownership rewarded me with a no start in the form of the other battery being dead. I jumped the truck off and about 10 minutes later the CEL came on DAMMIT! Well, I went to the local Orielly's and had the code read P0405 EGR a Low Circuit. I thought it may be from the dead battery. I erased the code. 2 minutes later it was back on.

Got a new battery (so both are new at this point) at the dealers expense. I unhooked the batteries and let her sit for about 30 minutes. Started the truck. No CEL YAY! I let it idle for about 10 minutes and still no light. Just for giggles I decided to restart the truck to make double sure. CEL was back on. read the code, P0405 EGR a Low Circuit. I checked my ALT for voltage at idle 13.95ish. Checked both batteris at idle 13.64. Checked the cables intermittently and it read 13.64.

Im going to pull the EGR and clean it tonight and check for a loose ground. If it doesnt turn the CEL off do you guys have any suggestions? It tripped 3 codes each time but they all read as the same one. Maybe I just "lucked" into having to replace the EGR (200 bucks!) the second day I owned it...

Is this something that needs to be addressed before driving the truck anymore? Just my luck LOL
Sorry for the long post and multiple questions. Feel free to slap me around if need be.

Last edited:

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
sounds like the electrical part of the EGR valve is no good, unfortunatly cleaning it will not fix that problem. replace the valve.

RazinCain

Reaction score
Well, I'm afraid your right. I will update the thread. There's nothing that bothers me more than to see new threads that are left hanging with no solutions attached to them. Seems that the thread starter's figure out what they were looking to fix and dont post up the findings so that retards like me can see what the root of the problems were.

Im not speaking of this forum, but others I visit occasionaly.

Atsah

Reaction score
There is only one way to get rid of 6.0 EGR issues and that is to delete the POS.. They cause nothing but problems..

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
i have a ton of spare egr valves laying around at our shop. they are expensive new, i wouldnt mind parting with one.

RazinCain

Reaction score
Atsah,
Yea Ive been reading about that. Im trying to get my Lightning ready for the summer and am trying not to divert to much mad money to other things LOL
Ive been thinking that might be my first mod to this truck and get the oil cooler swapped for a new one to be sure.

Sicks Liter,
PM sent.

Atsah

Reaction score
Atsah,
Yea Ive been reading about that. Im trying to get my Lightning ready for the summer and am trying not to divert to much mad money to other things LOL
Ive been thinking that might be my first mod to this truck and get the oil cooler swapped for a new one to be sure.

Sicks Liter,
PM sent.

You may also want to blow out your EBP tube, they block up pretty often and throw a EGR code..

RazinCain

Reaction score
Well, VICTORY!!!!!!!

For now anyways.
I pulled the EGR valve and it wasnt real dirty just a nice coat of black charcoaly (is that a word?) soot evenly over the EGR. I did notice that the bottom of the EGR was a little damp but it was mostly dry. I took some carb cleaner to it and swabbed it oud good with cleaner and q tips. Wiped it down being careful not to get anything in the two holes on the motor side of the valve. I cleaned the connectors and put a tiny bit of connector grease on em. Unhooked the batteries, waited 30 mins, turned on the headlights, no CEL. It blew a tiny puff of black smoke on start up but thats it. Turned off the truck.

Real test, had my fingers crossed and held my mouth just right, started up and NO CEL !!!!!!!!!

I left it running a couple minutes and killed/started it again. No smoke, no CEL. I was so happy I killed and started the motor about 5 times total! Hope it stays that way. Thanks for the input fellas.

Atsah

Reaction score
If your going to keep your EGR system intact for now, the best way to keep the valve clean is to hold the pedal to the floor a few times a week, your turbo will also benifit from it..

RazinCain

Reaction score
Im going to keep it like it is FOR NOW.

Maybe this winter I'll do and EGR delete, new oil cooler, and an Edge Insight. I hope I dont need the SCT as well, but if I do, I do I guess. :naughty:

RazinCain

Reaction score
Just to update this thread, I did end up having to replace the EGR valve. Damn EGR crap is going to go. Yesterday, It made me walk a couple miles after the alternator took a dump on me.......

My wife wants me to trade it in, after just the EGR valve in June, batteries in May, and now an Alternator in July. This thing is $200 dollar'n me to death LOL.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
unplug the valve is also a option to get you by.

the light will come back on. a ****ted up valve will not cause circuit codes.

CCRICE

Reaction score
Im going to keep it like it is FOR NOW.

Maybe this winter I'll do and EGR delete, new oil cooler, and an Edge Insight. I hope I dont need the SCT as well, but if I do, I do I guess. :naughty:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen that the '03 and '04 models don't usually throw a cel when you do the delete. '05-'07 is a different story though. You could try leaving it unplugged for now I suppose. It's not going to hurt anything and the truck will run better.

colo_dually

Reaction score
The '05-'07 trucks will only throw a code with the latest flash from Ford. I don't believe the same hardware is in the '03-early '04 trucks, so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

RazinCain

Reaction score
Well, last night I replaced the alternator and I unhooked the batteries when I did so (usual SOP). When I jumped the truck off to get her started (deader than hell) I drove it about 3 miles. I drove it pretty hard to charge the batts back up. I noticed that for the first 2 miles or so when I would hit WOT it would pull like a freight train then "hit a wall" about 60 mph. Normal driving wasnt affected and after letting it sit and idle for about ten minutes or so I dorve it home (about 10 miles) and all seemed well. BUT, I didnt try the WOT from a dig again. Ideas?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.