EGR delete question

1tonpower

Reaction score
what would happen if i deleted the coolers and left the valve in place and turned on. the only reason i would do this is to allow the ECM do complete OBD readiness monitor check i know what i am doing isnt on the right side of things.

the dealer replaced my egr valve and the next day i went for a sticker. the truck was all stock. it failed emissions because the p1000 code was present..im regretting tuning and deleting when i did( i was impatient and didnt want to wait) ..a week of mixed driving and i take it in for a retest. i wasnt thinking and had the egr valve shut off during that week. in stead of failing this time i get a turn away for the readiness monitor checks. i dont have bungs in the delete pipe but the sensors are plugged into the harness and tied up out of the way. the p1000 code cleared its self, i know because i checked before i went in today. the only thing i can think of is the computer couldnt check the EGR valve because i had it turned off. i loaded the tow tune this morning and tuned the EGR valve on. i spent the day driving, mixed highway and town. does changing the tune reset the trouble codes or is that a separate part of the ECM that needs to be told to clear them...

to answer why im going through all this trouble is that i have drill this weekend, and have time set aside tomorrow to install the delete. my coolers need to come off sooner then later because my degas bottle is puking with any kind of heavy load. its been fine for the week driving the truck like a girl, but if i lay into it well puke.

faster7581

Reaction score
have you replace the stock cap yet? I've heard most caps test bad, new ones from discount auto are $6, and much better.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
He is talking about the cap on your degas bottle (coolant bottle). They are rated for a certain pressure and sometimes are known to go bad. If you replace it and it still pukes it sounds as if you have headgasket problems not egr problems

1tonpower

Reaction score
I read that when the coolers go bad the exhaust can pressurize the cooling system. I won't puke stock. The fist time it did it I a super chips loaded pulling my
Emty trailer. I retuned to stock and told them that I suspected the coolers were leaking.. They did the t-stat seal and replaced the egr valve. I assume they teasted everything else.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Are you loosing coolant other than the puking? Usually a bad cooler looses coolant as it enters the exhaust track back into the intake. The only other thing could be "flash boiling" your coolant in the coolers as the flow is not suffecient enough. The way you describe it sounds as though it still could be headgaskets. Either way, deleting the coolers is a good thing and once you do it, Ill be hoping for you that it fixes your problem, if not, atleast it will narrow it down.

fnlyfree

Reaction score
I am betting head gaskets as well. I would think the person replacing the EGR valve would have noticed there was moisture/coolant present during the service. That would be an indication that the EGR coolers are leaking. Do you have steam coming from the exhaust? If you want to test it, you can install a pressure gauge on the degas bottle and drive the truck while it is cold. Watch and see if the pressure gauge goes up quickly as boost pressure builds. This would indicate a head gasket issue.

I know the above doesn't answer your question, but I would think that leaving the EGR valve operational with no coolers would be bad. I would expect a DTC due to the sensor for the cooler being unplugged.

Last edited:

1tonpower

Reaction score
Driving around with a gage I. The degas bottle I'm seeing 22 lbs max Under boost. Driving normal is holds 12 lbs. the degas gage moves with boost

1tonpower

Reaction score
Just got back from a 2nd test drive. I bypassed the coolant hoses at the egr coolers. Repeated the 1st test drive, same roads same speeds and ran fu boost. The degas bottle did t go over 12 lbs...head gaskets are fine. Looks like I'm taking those foolish coolers off.

fnlyfree

Reaction score
Sounds like you got it figured out. I am not sure about this, but I was told that there shouldn't be more than 5-6 psi in the degas bottle during operation. After I installed my head studs I rechecked my degas bottle pressure and the gauge hardly moved. This was done with the engine cold though. I hope it all works out well for you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.